Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org> on 2004/06/02 17:56:50 UTC

[RT] DOCO (Re: [Documentation] Refactoring docu)

Michael Wechner wrote:
> I think we should add a "User Guide" node to the documentation, because
> it seems
> to me that people would start contributing, especially it seems to me
> that you
> in particular would like to add content in such a section, which would
> be good start :-)
>
> Mihci
:)

Bingo! ;-)

I really like that DOCO idea! User can help to enhance the docu and
committer can apply by reviewing the changes. That seems to be rapid
documentation ;-). For 1 language this seems to be quit awesome, but for
x languages it is really going through the roof ;-).

...and yes I will do my part in asking you (and others) the questions
that I have regarding concepts and technics and keep record of the
answers in form of writting them down. I will add them to the lenya doco
(in the future, and for now: documentation) site and user can ask me
(and others) what they do not understand. *If* it is possible for the
user to say *thank you* for the help, by enchance my docu (in the
future, and for now: documentation) article would that be perfect.

Now lets talk about the translation of that doco-article. I may
contribute a translation to spanish/german but I could not do that in
all languages ;-). The other point is that my german translation would
be one from a native speaker, the spanish one not. So if a native
speaker could enhance my translation or translate the article in a
different language we will have parts of the documentation in different
languages. If somebody want to help he can try to translate an article
into their native languages.

...and by doing this the user becomes as well active part of the
project. I think that will make new committers, because (s)he can
contribute on a regular basic. This is one criteria to become a
committer. I had the honour to become committer for this reason (...do
you remember ;-))

The thing is all the above mentioned should be *EASY*. For the user and
the committer. It should be controlled by an integrated workflow. Lenya
can provide the framework for that.

...and to be a help in DOCO the best way for me seems to feel
responsable for our documentation. I think I will figure out where a
user and/or dev (e.g. me) can have problems to understand the
documentation. I will then hopefully as well figure out what the best
way is to solve the problem to easily commit to the documentation.

The first thing would be the to refactor the docu. I am used to read
scientific books. They are hardly structured in a loose descriptions of
components. They are normally going from easy to hard, from basic to
advanced. I am totally missing that by our documentation and I guess I
am not the only one.

The next steps are in my eyes:
1) integrate the export to static html/pdf and different server.
I am working on that by the forrest refactoring. I will have to look
closer into the forrestbot after finishing our skin.

2) integrate lenyas edit, workflow, roles functionality
That should not be so hard ;-). Basicly we need a form editor and a
workflow. So it a simple question of getting started.

3) integrate notification system to the workflow
I dunno see any problem with that either. One can use an existing
mail-server or SMS-Gateway.

King regards
thorsten
--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>

<@c...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <http>http://www.target-x.de</http>
  <motto>
	"My task which I am trying to achieve is,
	by the power of the written word,
	[...] to make you see."
	*Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>