Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <br...@users.sf.net> on 2013/11/19 16:57:33 UTC

[allura:tickets] #5772 Allura Code Viewer: enable viewing documentation directly from the repository

Alternative for SVN is to use http:// URLs to the repository directly, and make sure that the html files have the svn:mime-type property set to text/html

---

** [tickets:#5772] Allura Code Viewer: enable viewing documentation directly from the repository**

**Status:** open
**Created:** Thu Feb 07, 2013 08:29 PM UTC by DRC
**Last Updated:** Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:11 AM UTC
**Owner:** nobody

This is one of several tickets I am creating to log what I feel are shortcomings in the new (Allura) code viewer relative to the old (ViewVC) code viewer. In all of these cases, simply providing a way for users to continue using ViewVC would be an acceptable workaround.

Several of my projects rely on the ability to view static HTML and text documents directly in the repository so that different versions of these documents can easily be linked from our wiki. For instance:

http://virtualgl.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/virtualgl/vgl/tags/2.3.2/doc/index.html
http://libjpeg-turbo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libjpeg-turbo/trunk/README-turbo.txt
http://libjpeg-turbo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libjpeg-turbo/branches/1.2.x/doc/html/group___turbo_j_p_e_g.html

The new code viewer provides no way of doing that. The closest I can get with the new viewer is to provide a link for viewing the text files with line numbers and other decorations:

https://sourceforge.net/p/libjpeg-turbo/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/README-turbo.txt

or for downloading the file (not displaying it in the browser):

https://sourceforge.net/p/libjpeg-turbo/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/README-turbo.txt?format=raw

But nothing can be done for HTML pages.

Suggested resolution:

Add a separate "view" mode for the file, perhaps implemented similarly to how you are implementing the History view. For instance:

https://sourceforge.net/p/libjpeg-turbo/code/HEAD/view/?path=/trunk/doc/html/group___turbo_j_p_e_g.html

Unless I miss my guess, this should allow static HTML pages and text documents in the repository to be displayed directly in the browser.  In ViewVC, when displaying an in-tree HTML file, it will correctly link to any other HTML pages in the same repository as well as correctly display images in the same repository, provided that the links to them are all relative.  Thus, the new viewer would need to do likewise.

---

Sent from sourceforge.net because allura-dev@incubator.apache.org is subscribed to https://sourceforge.net/p/allura/tickets/