Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by ro...@xemaps.com on 2010/05/13 01:42:33 UTC

TermDocs

Hi guys,

I've had this code for some time but am just now questioning if it works.

I have a custom filter that i've been using since Lucene 1.4 to Lucene 2.2.0 and it essentially builds up a BitSet like so:

for ( int x = 0; x < fields.length; x++ ) {
    for ( int y = 0; y < values.length; y++ ) {
    TermDocs termDocs = reader.termDocs( new Term( fields[x], values[y] ) );
    try {
        while ( termDocs.next() ) {
            int doc = termDocs.doc();
            bits.set( doc );
        }
    }
    finally {
        termDocs.close();
    }
    }
}

I notice that it grabs all the TermDocs for the first field and value but nothing after that.  But I do know that the other values exist but I don't get any TermDocs afterwards.

Do I need to reopen the IndexReader each time?

Regards,
Roy

Re: TermDocs

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On May 12, 2010, at 7:42 PM, roy-lucene-user@xemaps.com wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've had this code for some time but am just now questioning if it works.
>
> I have a custom filter that i've been using since Lucene 1.4 to Lucene 2.2.0 and it essentially builds up a BitSet like so:
>
> for ( int x = 0; x < fields.length; x++ ) {
>    for ( int y = 0; y < values.length; y++ ) {
>    TermDocs termDocs = reader.termDocs( new Term( fields[x], values[y] ) );
>    try {
>        while ( termDocs.next() ) {
>            int doc = termDocs.doc();
>            bits.set( doc );
>        }
>    }
>    finally {
>        termDocs.close();
>    }
>    }
> }
>
> I notice that it grabs all the TermDocs for the first field and value but nothing after that.  But I do know that the other values exist but I don't get any TermDocs afterwards.

That code works for me against Lucene 3.0.1 (and I don't think much has changed there).  Are you sure the fields and values are lining up right?  Perhaps isolate this on a standalone index to convince yourself.  Have you looked at Luke to validate?

However, why not just create a Filter from a Query and get the bitset/docidset using the MultiFieldQueryParser?

//Here's a snippet I wrote, never mind the PayloadAnalyzer, just substitute in your analyzer
MultiFieldQueryParser mfqp = new MultiFieldQueryParser(Version.LUCENE_30, fields, new PayloadAnalyzer(encoder));
    Query query = mfqp.parse(Version.LUCENE_30, values, fields, new PayloadAnalyzer(encoder));
    Filter filter = new QueryWrapperFilter(query);
    DocIdSet docs = filter.getDocIdSet(reader);
    DocIdSetIterator docIdSetIterator = docs.iterator();
    while (docIdSetIterator.nextDoc() != DocIdSetIterator.NO_MORE_DOCS){
      System.out.println("Doc: " + docIdSetIterator.docID());
    }