Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andy Kriger <an...@verizon.net> on 2002/08/14 16:41:55 UTC

Help needed - cannot access Apache from outside my box

I cannot access Apache from outside my box. I have been unable to find a
solution in the FAQ or mailing-list archives. I am tech saavy, but do not
know how to diagnose this sort of problem; please help me make my webserver
visible to the world.

* I am running Apache 2.0.35 on Win2KPro
* This is a single box connected to the internet via Verizon DSL with a
Westel Wirespeed modem (no router, hub, anything between the box and the
wall)
* I spoke to someone at Verizon and they informed me that they do not block
incoming requests and that the hardware does not either
* I turned off my firewall to remove that from the troubleshooting loop
* I am able to load pages locally using http://<myIPaddress> (obtained with
ipconfig)
* My machine can be pinged and returns all packets in a reasonable time
* I can trace route to my box using www.visualroute.com
* I have tried changing the Listen directive to 8080, 8000, and 7117 (a
random number in case the usual suspects were being blocked)
* HostnameLookups directive is Off
* Requests to Apache from outside do not appear in the access.log
* There are no errors in error.log
* My httpd.conf file is pretty vanilla (only major change is PHP)

I do not know where Windows logs TCP/IP activity so that might be a start.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thx
Andy Kriger

RE: Help needed - cannot access Apache from outside my box

Posted by Andy Kriger <an...@verizon.net>.
Since Windows is unsecure out-of-the-box :) I installed ZoneAlarm and I shut
it down in order to cut that out of the loop so I don't think firewall is
the problem.

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

RE: Help needed - cannot access Apache from outside my box

Posted by Andy Kriger <an...@verizon.net>.
If that were true, wouldn't I be unable to use the IP address locally?
Running ipconfig shows that there is an ethernet card & a PPP adapter (the
Verizon DSL modem is plugged into this). The PPP adapter IP address is what
I have been using locally and to ping from outside.

How can I tell what Apache is binding to when it starts?

Posted by Chris Taylor <ch...@x-bb.org>.

RE: Help needed - cannot access Apache from outside my box

Posted by Andy Kriger <an...@verizon.net>.
Not sure - how would I know?
Looking at the Advanced TCP/IP Settings:
General Tab - 'Use default gateway on remote network' is selected
There are no DNS or WINS addresses
Options Tab - IP Security has 'Do not use IPSEC' selected

It couldn't have anything to do with your Win2K IP Security or Filter
settings could it?

Posted by Norman Kaye <nk...@jordanarchitectural.com>.

Posted by Andy Kriger <an...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jurgen <ap...@squarehosting.com>.
Hi,

this shouldn't matter with a standard configuration.

Jurgen
apache@squarehosting.com

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:57:20 -0400

Posted by Andy Kriger <an...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Chris Fraser <ar...@urswerks.homeip.net>.
8/14/2002 10:41:55 AM, "Andy Kriger" <an...@verizon.net> wrote:

>I cannot access Apache from outside my box. I have been unable to find a
>solution in the FAQ or mailing-list archives. I am tech saavy, but do not
>know how to diagnose this sort of problem; please help me make my webserver
>visible to the world.
>
>* I am running Apache 2.0.35 on Win2KPro
>* This is a single box connected to the internet via Verizon DSL with a
>Westel Wirespeed modem (no router, hub, anything between the box and the
>wall)
>* I spoke to someone at Verizon and they informed me that they do not block
>incoming requests and that the hardware does not either
>* I turned off my firewall to remove that from the troubleshooting loop
>* I am able to load pages locally using http://<myIPaddress> (obtained with
>ipconfig)

Is this a local home network address (192.168.x.x or 10.10.x.x) or your address on the Verizon
network? erm, nevermind. missed the part about the no router, hub, etc. above...
Can you get to your server using the Verison Network IP? Which makes this a yes, I assume since
you stated you can access it with your IP address. Have you tried this from another location
(friend's house, library, ...)?
What is you IP address?

>* My machine can be pinged and returns all packets in a reasonable time
>* I can trace route to my box using www.visualroute.com
>* I have tried changing the Listen directive to 8080, 8000, and 7117 (a
>random number in case the usual suspects were being blocked)
>* HostnameLookups directive is Off
>* Requests to Apache from outside do not appear in the access.log
>* There are no errors in error.log
>* My httpd.conf file is pretty vanilla (only major change is PHP)
>
>I do not know where Windows logs TCP/IP activity so that might be a start.
>
>Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
>thx
>Andy Kriger

If you have a broadband router/hub set it to forward incoming port 80 to your server's local
home network IP address. Which you don't... (I really must read more closely the first time).
then
Head over to http://www.dyndns.org/ . This is a free Dynamic DNS service. Gives you a stable
hostname to use instead of your stable or dynamic IP address.

--
"The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate for the stormy present. The occasion is piled high
with difficulty, and we must rise to the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew,
Remarks, December 1, 1862
				                                                                           -
President Abraham Lincoln
Copyleft 2001: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html