Posted to dev@freemarker.apache.org by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> on 2016/06/12 20:32:17 UTC

Anybody wants anything before 2.3.25? Also, current release notes.

I plan to start a voting here on 2016-06-14, for releasing 2.3.25. So
if anyone wants to add anything before that, inform me.

This is what we have so far:
- Version history: http://freemarker.org/builds/2.3.25-nightly/documentation/_html/versions_2_3_25.html
- Last build: http://freemarker.org/builds/2.3.25-nightly/freemarker.jar

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Anybody wants anything before 2.3.25? Also, current release notes.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
I think this solves the multiple lists problem (this works for a long
time):

  <#list mylist1 + list2 as item>

Posted by Albert Kam <mo...@gmail.com>.
Dear Daniel,

--
Do not pursue the past. Do not lose yourself in the future.
The past no longer is. The future has not yet come.

Re: Anybody wants anything before 2.3.25? Also, current release notes.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
> [...]

> {
>     'prop0': 'read'
>     ,
>     'prop1': 'walk'
> }
>
> The ideal directive to emultate the workaround above would look
> something like this:
> <#list hobbies as hobby>
>     <#if hobby != 'walk>
>         <#head_sep>,<#head_sep>
>         'prop${hobby_index}': '${hobby}'
>     </#if>
> </#list>
> Where <#head_sep> renderes the comma only if the previous loop had an entry.
>
> Just a suggestion.
>
> Thanks !
>

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 3:32 AM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:
>> I plan to start a voting here on 2016-06-14, for releasing 2.3.25. So
>> if anyone wants to add anything before that, inform me.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
I do, if you are ok with it.

Jacopo

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Jacopo, now that 2.3.25-incubating is out, I think it open the time to
start the discussion at general@incubator. Go for it whenever you want/can.
Thanks.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu> wrote:

> I suppose some work should be done before that anyway. Not much
> hopefully. Things like filling the blanks on
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/freemarker.html, etc.

Yes, we should take care of updating the podling information pages before
the formal graduation process, not blocking discussions any way ;-)

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Monday, June 20, 2016, 1:17:06 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> makes sense, thank you Sergio.
>
> Jacopo
>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 12:55 PM, Sergio Fern�ndez <wi...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:31 AM, Jacopo Cappellato <
>> jacopo.cappellato@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Should I start the thread today? Should I send you a preview of the
>> message
>> > as soon as it is ready so that you can all comment and improve it?
>> >

>> What about wait until the current vote is over and release published?
>> I think that's a bit better timing...
>>

>> --
>> Sergio Fern�ndez
>> Partner Technology Manager
>> Redlink GmbH
>> m: +43 6602747925
>> e: sergio.fernandez@redlink.co
>> w: http://redlink.co

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Sergio.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Pete Helgren <pe...@valadd.com>.
I am using the Liferay IDE plugin and the reference that I assume is the
syntax checking and highlighting is the "Liferay IDE Freemarker" plugin
reference in Eclipse (Luna) com.liferay.ide.freemarker that comes with
the Liferay IDE but I haven't opened up the source and taken a look.  I
saw a few posts from the LR developers here a long while ago.

I do need to check out the debugging features (if any).  That would be
helpful.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
As far as I remember their plugin was based on the "FreeMarker IDE"
JBoss plugin. Have you also tried that plugin? (In Eclipse, "Help" /
"Install New Software...",
http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/neon/snapshots/builds/jbosstools-freemarker_master/latest/all/repo/)
Is there much difference? I remember they have tried to add debugging
support, but I don't know how far that got.

BTW, contributing to the Eclipse plugin is an effective way of helping
the project. It's at JBoss though, not at ASF. (But see on
http://freemarker.org/contribute.html)

Thursday, June 16, 2016, 8:54:41 PM, Pete Helgren wrote:

> Well, "recent" IS recent.  Like two weeks ago I pulled down Liferay 7.0
> and started to see if we could migrate our stuff from 6.0.6 to 7.0.
> 6.0.6 has support for both Velocity and Freemarker but most of the UI
> templates were in Velocity although I think they used Freemarker pretty
> extensively in their templates for their "service builder" application.
> Supposedly there is parity in the out of the box templates for UI but I
> already tripped across a couple of templates that had a more complete
> Velocity implementation than FM.
>
> IOW it's too soon to have an opinion.  You may not remember but I am
> *still* using Jonathan Revusky's "Niggle" project, which wraps
> Freemarker, so I use Freemarker nominally but will be using templates
> more.  Liferay developed, or enhanced, a Freemarker syntax highlighting
> plugin which I have appreciated.
>
> Once I get my feet a bit more "wet" I'll probably have a better opinion
> on the templating side.
>
> Pete Helgren
> www.petesworkshop.com
> GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
>
> On 6/16/2016 11:55 AM, Daniel Dekany wrote:
>> Hi Pete,
>>
>> Liferay is one of the more important FM users today, based on the
>> number of FM questions on StackOverflow that are Liferay related. So
>> it would be interesting to know what are the top annoyances or other
>> improvement ideas in that particular environment. Can you tell any?
>>

>> Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 4:19:18 PM, Pete Helgren wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Most of my involvement is from a user perspective and I really haven't
>>> used much template stuff in a while but in the past 4 years have worked
>>> with Liferay portal and they use both Velocity and Freemarker and have
>>> recently shifted more to Freemarker.  So after being out of the template
>>> arena for a while, I am back in.
>>>
>>> My Java skills aren't nearly at the level the rest of the group on this
>>> list has but I will try to jump in on the stuff that can fit my skill level.
>>>
>>> Pete

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Pete Helgren <pe...@valadd.com>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Hi Pete,

Liferay is one of the more important FM users today, based on the
number of FM questions on StackOverflow that are Liferay related. So
it would be interesting to know what are the top annoyances or other
improvement ideas in that particular environment. Can you tell any?

Wednesday, June 15, 2016, 4:19:18 PM, Pete Helgren wrote:

> On 6/14/2016 12:20 PM, Daniel Dekany wrote:
>> Tuesday, June 14, 2016, 1:55:05 PM, Sergio Fern�ndez wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>> Definitively I used Freemarker much more in the past than currently,
>>> but Web development has changed a lot, moving more stuff to the
>>> frontend (10 years ago we didn't have AngularJS).
>> Yip, that's why I intend to focus on non-Web applications much more in
>> FM 3. There are some interesting challenges there. One is the common
>> need for the much smarter handling of white-space. Another is entering
>> templates in WYSIWYG editors (it has some tricky aspects). Would be
>> fun to work on those instead of fighting with FM 2 legacy.
>>
> +1
>
> Most of my involvement is from a user perspective and I really haven't
> used much template stuff in a while but in the past 4 years have worked
> with Liferay portal and they use both Velocity and Freemarker and have
> recently shifted more to Freemarker.  So after being out of the template
> arena for a while, I am back in.
>
> My Java skills aren't nearly at the level the rest of the group on this
> list has but I will try to jump in on the stuff that can fit my skill level.
>
> Pete

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Pete Helgren <pe...@valadd.com>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,

Re: FM Online improvements

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@apache.org>.
Any hope that you will continue work on this? (Now that we have the
try.freemarker.org at ASF, anything you do can be deployed pretty much
immediately.)

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FM Online improvements (Was: Graduation issues)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Thursday, August 18, 2016, 9:11:34 AM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hey Daniel,
>
>      I have made the changes you have mentioned in the UI side. Yet
> a quick question, You have mentioned auto import shouldn't be a
> checkbox. But you have mentioned like
> "[name       ]  [ ] Auto import  [ ] Auto include" .
>
> We should have it as text box right ?

Right, only a text box, no checkbox is needed for auto-import.
Something like:

  Auto import [prefix ]   [ ] Auto include

> Regarding the Configuration , I see that we have a freeMarkerConfig
> (instance of Configuration) and we actually build a Template and
> TemplateConfiguration and is attached to the freemarkerConfig.
>
> Now in case of additional templates, If we create a Template (with
> name) and TemplateConfiguration for each and attach to the
> freeMarkerConfig (main configuration).

For now we have no reason to use separate TemplateConfiguration-s, as
there are no UI controls to set any pre-template settings. What we
will need is a separate Configuration for each request when(!) there
are additional templates. That's because the TemplateLoader and
template cache exists on the Configuration level, and each request
will have a different set of additional templates.

> Let me know if I am getting it wrong.
>
> Pradeep.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FM Online improvements (Was: Graduation issues)

Tuesday, August 2, 2016, 2:39:45 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
>      Got the client side changes and have pushed  @
> https://github.com/pradeepmurugesan/freemarker-online/tree/additionalTemplates.
>
> Attached the screenshot of how it will look . Kindly let me know if there are any changes.

I have just realized that auto-import shouldn't be a checkbox but a
text imput, as you have to specify the import prefix...

Now that I see it with 2 additional templates, I think the "+" button
has some usability disadvantages. People expect the new template to
appear after the last template (as opposed to be inserted before the
first one). But the "+" button is always at top. So it would be better
after the last template. But then it's not entirely obvious what it
adds. So, how about having only this under the main template textarea
(note that there's no "Addition templates" title):

   [Add template] to #import/#include

where [Add template] is a button, and the text after it is a gray
hint. Now if someone adds a template, you will have:

   Template to #import/#include:
   [name       ]  [ ] Auto import  [ ] Auto include
   [Enter template, like <#macro greet name>Hello ${name}!</#macro>]

   [Add template] to #import/#include

So as you can see, the the [Add template] button will be always at the
bottom, where the new template will be added if you press it. (If
someone adds multiple templates, there will be a "Template to
#import/#include:" label before each.)

Note that I have also changed the textarea example text.

> I am going through the server side requirements/changes that needs
> to be done. Will come back once I have my questions ready.

One tricky thing will be that FM-Online uses a shared singleton
Configuration currently, but the additional templates are named, so
the Configuration need to be aware of them. I guess the best will be
just creating a new drop-away Configuration instance in case there are
additional templates. (The other alternative is using a TLS-aware
TemplateChache, but that's probably too tricky for sparing those CPU
cycles.) (Yet another alternative is supporting Environment-local
named templates in FM 2.3.26... but that's the hardest of all.)

> Pradeep.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FM Online improvements (Was: Graduation issues)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Tuesday, August 2, 2016, 2:39:45 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
>      Got the client side changes and have pushed  @
> https://github.com/pradeepmurugesan/freemarker-online/tree/additionalTemplates.
>
> Attached the screenshot of how it will look . Kindly let me know if there are any changes.

I have just realized that auto-import shouldn't be a checkbox but a
text imput, as you have to specify the import prefix...

Now that I see it with 2 additional templates, I think the "+" button
has some usability disadvantages. People expect the new template to
appear after the last template (as opposed to be inserted before the
first one). But the "+" button is always at top. So it would be better
after the last template. But then it's not entirely obvious what it
adds. So, how about having only this under the main template textarea
(note that there's no "Addition templates" title):

   [Add template] to #import/#include

where [Add template] is a button, and the text after it is a gray
hint. Now if someone adds a template, you will have:

   Template to #import/#include:
   [name       ]  [ ] Auto import  [ ] Auto include
   [Enter template, like <#macro greet name>Hello ${name}!</#macro>]

   [Add template] to #import/#include

So as you can see, the the [Add template] button will be always at the
bottom, where the new template will be added if you press it. (If
someone adds multiple templates, there will be a "Template to
#import/#include:" label before each.)

Note that I have also changed the textarea example text.

> I am going through the server side requirements/changes that needs
> to be done. Will come back once I have my questions ready.

One tricky thing will be that FM-Online uses a shared singleton
Configuration currently, but the additional templates are named, so
the Configuration need to be aware of them. I guess the best will be
just creating a new drop-away Configuration instance in case there are
additional templates. (The other alternative is using a TLS-aware
TemplateChache, but that's probably too tricky for sparing those CPU
cycles.) (Yet another alternative is supporting Environment-local
named templates in FM 2.3.26... but that's the hardest of all.)

> Pradeep.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FM Online improvements (Was: Graduation issues)

Monday, August 1, 2016, 6:11:37 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
>     Got a chance to work on the task. I have come up with something
> here http://codepen.io/pradeepmurugesan/pen/oLPNgQ.

Looks fine.

> I have the following questions.
>
> 1. The pure css used by the online validator is pretty old . Do we
> have any idea to replace the same with the latest version of
> pure(http://purecss.io/) or bootstrap.

You can update Pure if you want to, or use Bootstrap CSS... I don't
know either. If you have experience with them, I will trust your
judgement.

> 2. How many such template can the user add. like can he keep on
> adding it or we are going to put any restrictions there.

To keep users from killing the server, let's say, the main template
plus at most 3 importable/includable templates.

> Kindly let me know any changes in the pen and also answer to the above.
>
> Pradeep.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FM Online improvements (Was: Graduation issues)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Monday, August 1, 2016, 6:11:37 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
>     Got a chance to work on the task. I have come up with something
> here http://codepen.io/pradeepmurugesan/pen/oLPNgQ.

Looks fine.

> I have the following questions.
>
> 1. The pure css used by the online validator is pretty old . Do we
> have any idea to replace the same with the latest version of
> pure(http://purecss.io/) or bootstrap.

You can update Pure if you want to, or use Bootstrap CSS... I don't
know either. If you have experience with them, I will trust your
judgement.

> 2. How many such template can the user add. like can he keep on
> adding it or we are going to put any restrictions there.

To keep users from killing the server, let's say, the main template
plus at most 3 importable/includable templates.

> Kindly let me know any changes in the pen and also answer to the above.
>
> Pradeep.

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FM Online improvements (Was: Graduation issues)

Monday, June 27, 2016, 8:24:21 AM, Daniel Dekany wrote:

> I should

I meant "It should".

> support adding arbitrary templates. As I imagine it, there
> would be an "Add template" button, and when you press it, it adds an
> extra text area, which has a template name input, an "auto import"
> checkbox, and an "auto include" checkbox, and a "Remove template"
> button over it.

Another thing... we should add an "Incompatible improvements" dropdown
after the existing ones, which preselects the value of
Configuration.getVersion().

> Monday, June 27, 2016, 7:24:19 AM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>

>>   Cool..  I will start with adding the extra template name thing to
>> the online template tester. (#import and #include) . I would need
>> more pointers on the same. How have you visualised the same.
>> Meaning , How the users can import other templates, we will give
>> provision to add other templates or we have some predefined
>> templates loaded , so that they can import the same ?
>>

>> Pradeep.
>>
>> ________________________________

 Daniel Dekany

Re: FM Online improvements (Was: Graduation issues)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Monday, June 27, 2016, 8:24:21 AM, Daniel Dekany wrote:

> I should

I meant "It should".

> support adding arbitrary templates. As I imagine it, there
> would be an "Add template" button, and when you press it, it adds an
> extra text area, which has a template name input, an "auto import"
> checkbox, and an "auto include" checkbox, and a "Remove template"
> button over it.

Another thing... we should add an "Incompatible improvements" dropdown
after the existing ones, which preselects the value of
Configuration.getVersion().

> Monday, June 27, 2016, 7:24:19 AM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:
>
>> Hi Daniel,
>>

>>   Cool..  I will start with adding the extra template name thing to
>> the online template tester. (#import and #include) . I would need
>> more pointers on the same. How have you visualised the same.
>> Meaning , How the users can import other templates, we will give
>> provision to add other templates or we have some predefined
>> templates loaded , so that they can import the same ?
>>

>> Pradeep.
>>
>> ________________________________

 Daniel Dekany

FM Online improvements (Was: Graduation issues)

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
I should support adding arbitrary templates. As I imagine it, there

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Pradeep Murugesan <pr...@outlook.com>.
Hi Daniel,

  Cool..  I will start with adding the extra template name thing to the online template tester. (#import and #include) . I would need more pointers on the same. How have you visualised the same.  Meaning , How the users can import other templates, we will give provision to add other templates or we have some predefined templates loaded , so that they can import the same ?

Pradeep.

________________________________
I haven't yet merged in your contribution with XML siblings (so it
won't be in 2.3.25 - sorry about that, next time), and AFAIR there
were some wrinkles to work on.

I have done some of the planned improvements on
http://freemarker-online.kenshoo.com/ (mostly to draw attention to the
outputFormat setting of 2.3.24), but there are other things to do.
Apart from what was discussed earlier, I think supporting adding extra
templates with names would be handy, because then people can play
around with #import and #include.

And then of course, there's http://freemarker.org/contribute.html with
even more things to do.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016, 12:27:01 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel & team,
>

>    Sorry that I was dormant for a long time after a very short tent
> @ Freemaker. I am out of some critical issues and have some bandwidth from now on.
>

> Kindly let me know if there is anything I could help.
>

> Pradeep.
>
> ________________________________

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Graduation issues

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Happy to see you back!

There are things to do, of course.

I haven't yet merged in your contribution with XML siblings (so it
won't be in 2.3.25 - sorry about that, next time), and AFAIR there
were some wrinkles to work on.

I have done some of the planned improvements on
http://freemarker-online.kenshoo.com/ (mostly to draw attention to the
outputFormat setting of 2.3.24), but there are other things to do.
Apart from what was discussed earlier, I think supporting adding extra
templates with names would be handy, because then people can play
around with #import and #include.

And then of course, there's http://freemarker.org/contribute.html with
even more things to do.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016, 12:27:01 PM, Pradeep Murugesan wrote:

> Hi Daniel & team,
>

>    Sorry that I was dormant for a long time after a very short tent
> @ Freemaker. I am out of some critical issues and have some bandwidth from now on.
>

> Kindly let me know if there is anything I could help.
>

> Pradeep.
>
> ________________________________

 Daniel Dekany

Re: Graduation issues

Graduation issues

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.

Posted by Daniel Dekany <dd...@freemail.hu>.
Yeah, I wanted to talk about those things, especially because of the
developer community concerns. So I will return to this.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
I second Sergio's proposal: the podling is clearly capable and autonomous
to manage the various aspects of the project's life and most of all the
releases (kudos). As anticipated when the project joined the Incubator, the
community is small and this will be a topic to discuss for the graduation.

Jacopo

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Albert Kam <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hello Daniel,