Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jeff Linwood <je...@greenninja.com> on 2002/04/25 06:04:36 UTC

Commons Validator Setup

Hi,

I just built the commons validator from the 04/24/2002 nightly build, and I
decided to rewrite the README for the new JAR requirements. I was a little
scared off at first by the README because of all the Struts dependencies.  I
haven't started programming with it yet, so no comments there.

Also, I had to add ${xerces.jar} to the base.classpath in the build.xml
after ${oro.jar} for ValidatorResourcesInitializer.java to compile.

New Readme
Commons Validator
==================
You must do the following to have the build script work.

1. Download releases of the following, and extract the jar files to a
directory on your machine.   Commons Beanutils - commons-beanutils.jar
(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/release/commons-beanutils/
)
   Commons Collections - commons-collections.jar
(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/release/commons-collection
s/)   Commons Digester - commons-digester.jar
(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/release/commons-digester/)
Commons Logging - commons-logger.jar
(http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/release/commons-logging/)
JUnit - junit.jar (http://www.junit.org/)   Jakarta ORO - oro.jar
(http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/)   Xerces (or other SAX 2.0 XML Parser) -
xerces.jar (http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/index.html)
2. Edit the build.properties.sample file and rename it to build.properties
(I wasn't sure about this line, I don't use Struts.)
3. Place the following Struts tlds from the Struts download in
'struts/WEB-INF/tlds'.
    (struts-bean.tld  struts-html.tld  struts-logic.tld
struts-template.tld)

Overview
---------
The Validation Framework was made to work with Struts. It can perform basic
validations to check if a field
is required, matches a regular expression, email, credit card, and server
side type checking and date
validation. Different validation rules can be defined for different locales.
The framework has basic support for
user defined constants which can be used in some field attributes. The
validation routines are modifiable in
the validation.xml file so custom validation routines can be created and
added to the framework.

Re: Commons Validator Setup

Posted by Jeff Linwood <je...@greenninja.com>.
Sure, no problem. Can I also suggest that package.html become the home page
for Validator under commons?

Jeff

Re: Commons Validator Setup

Posted by David Winterfeldt <dw...@yahoo.com>.