Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Cappa Roberto <ro...@guest.telecomitalia.it> on 2010/08/06 08:46:14 UTC

How HIVE manages a join

Hi,

I cannot find any documentation about what algorithm performs HIVE to translate JOIN clauses to Map-Reduce tasks.

In particular, if I have two tables A and B, each table is written on a separate file and each file is splitted on hadoop nodes. When I perform a JOIN with A.column = B.column, the framework has to compare full data from the first file and full data from the second file. In order to perform a full scan of all possibile combinations of values, how can hadoop perform it? If each node contains a portion of each file, it seems not possible to have a complete comparison. Does one of the two files enterely replicated on each node? Or, does HIVE use another kind of strategy/optimization?

Thanks.

Re: How HIVE manages a join

Posted by akshaya iyengar <ak...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much for the links.

Akshaya

Re: How HIVE manages a join

Posted by Raghu Murthy <rm...@facebook.com>.

Re: How HIVE manages a join

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 5:05 PM, akshaya iyengar
<ak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I apologize if this is out of context for the current thread. I was looking
> for the Hive architecture diagram on this page
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/Design . The pdf link doesnt seem to work
> for me as well.
>
> It would be a great help if someone could direct me to this information.
>
> Thanks,
> Akshaya
>
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Joydeep,
>>
>> I am sorry. I put that when I thought we were going to actively move
>> to xdocs. You an remove that if you like.
>>
>> As i said in a thread before the problem with the wiki is that no one
>> actively updates it. Example:
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/LanguageManual/Select
>> oopse: Really what about "in support"...
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-801
>>
>> Which is why I hold the option that all patches except bug fixes
>> should probably come with xdocs, People are free to disagree.
>>
>> Edward
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Joydeep Sen Sarma <js...@facebook.com>
>> wrote:
>> > i hate this message: 'THIS PAGE WAS MOVED TO HIVE XDOCS ! DO NOT
>> > EDIT!Join Syntax'
>> >
>> > why must edits to the wiki be banned if there are xdocs? hadoop has
>> > both.
>> >
>> > there will always be things that are not captured in xdocs. it's pretty
>> > sad to discourage free form edits by people who want to contribute without
>> > checking out source. (what is this - the 80s?)

The wiki had all attachments removed because crackers will using it to
post STUFF (use your imagination)

Edward

Re: How HIVE manages a join

Posted by John Sichi <js...@facebook.com>.
All the attachments on the wiki disappeared a while ago.  I noticed it recently on my design doc for views.  I think probably somebody disabled attachment upload due to spam, and this made the existing attachments inaccessible as well.  Probably need to open an INFRA ticket in Apache JIRA.

JVS

Re: How HIVE manages a join

Posted by akshaya iyengar <ak...@gmail.com>.
Hello,