Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Alex Thompson <pi...@hotmail.com> on 2011/01/01 00:29:07 UTC

RE: Proposal Stage: Backwards Compatibility / Support

Maybe we could just bug-fix support the current 2.9.2 codebase unless people
really need something in 2.9.x

I think there would be a 3.0.x line-by-line port and a 3.0.x idiomatic
version.

I'd like to throw another idea into the mix which is perhaps the idiomatic
version could be created by an automated refactoring of the line-by-line. It
might be additional upfront work but might make it easier for future changes
from java lucene to be propagated down.

Alex

Posted by Robert Jordan <ro...@gmx.net>.
On 02.01.2011 23:03, Michael Herndon wrote:
> The complicated part about having a release for release is that there might
> be certain bugs that are only on our side, thus paying attention to the
> build interval becomes important for people.
>
> i.e.
>
> build 3.0.0.234 = 3.0.0 release
> build 3.0.0.446 = 3.0.0 hotfix
>
> Is there a better way of handling or noting these type of releases?
>
> Is there any benefit of doing all of 3.0.x&  2.9.x releases versus starting
> with the latest of each branch and moving forward from there?
>
> Also are we going to ensure mono support?

I will take care of the Mono support.

Robert

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
For bug fix releases that need to come after a main release but can't
increment the version number, then a build number is ok, but generally
I prefer to just refer to them by name and revision number.

eg:

build 3.0.0.234 = 3.0.0 RTM (rev 100)
build 3.0.0.446 = 3.0.0 HotFix1 (rev 123)

etc...

This is because build numbers can be rather arbitrary, and doesn't
help much when you're working with the library from code and not
binaries. Knowing what SVN revision a given release is, is more
useful.

Regarding skipping the intermediate Java releases... The only benefit
to matching each of those is if someone were to need to port a Java
application that relied on an intermediate version to C#, and didn't
want to do the work of upgrading to a newer version (assuming a lack
of backward compatibility for their use case). Then they would need an
exact matching version in C#.

This seems like an unlikely use case, and it's my opinion we should
just skip the intermediate releases and make our next release after
2.9.2 match the latest Java releases (eg. 2.9.4 and 3.0.3).

While there's a sense of urgency about getting a 3.X release out for
.NET, I think the community would be better served by getting the
2.9.4 release out. This is following the "bug fixes before features"
principle for scheduling releases. Our user base is currently using
2.9.2. I think we'd serve them better by first giving them a 2.9.4
build that fixes bugs with the current code without introducing any
breaking API changes.

Also, if we're developing a new conversion process for 3.X and beyond,
we'll need time to develop that correctly. It's not a trivial task.
Applying bug fixes from 2.9.2 to 2.9.4 shoudl be much easier and could
probably be done manually.

Regarding Mono support... I think we should. I don't know how much
that entails at this point. I know there's an open JIRA ticket for
this at:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-361

Supporting Mono could be as easy as applying that patch.

I'd also like to address:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-167

And make a build that can run on the compact framework. I'm not sure
Silverlight support is so important, but Compact Framework support
would be a big win, IMO.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@o19s.com>.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.
Scripted, automated and repeatable are mantras to live by. Why not
take it all the way?

What I mean by this is setting up the new, fresh, Lucene 3.0 project
to do something like the following:

1) setup a CI server that grabs the current stable java source
automatically from SVN and runs our conversion tool [whatever it ends
up being] on said bits.
2) CI server then commits this to source control somewhere -- I'd
actually vote a branch per conversion here for a variety of reasons.
3) the actual lucene project references the automatically created bits
which can be merged in when we want to support a new drop from the
Java trunk.

This covers a few bases that would likely be pain points:

a) Keeps the conversion bits out of the .NET trunk. Meaning that most
users won't need [insert java toolz] to build/run the project. We are
just shipping C# here.
b) Makes it easy to fix on an exact java SVN revision we are based off
of. And makes it easy to change that revision should we need to
presuming we get the updated project organized right.
b) Will hopefully help us keep in lock step with the java bits going
forward -- we will at least be catching every update.

Thoughts?

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@o19s.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
For number 2, you're spot on - free to the Lucene.Net project is probably the relevant piece. Someone mentioned having an open source tool that we could customize directly for our conversion purposes would be useful - but I think that really goes to 1 and 3 - if we can create pre/post processing scripts that uses a non open tool what does it matter.
I hope people are working with the code digy linked to a few days ago to really evaluate the extend of the extra work required to get those to build (I know I have spent some time digging in and I would like to spend a bit more time). I also hope someone is taking a lead on the Sharpen convert - I don't have any of the stuff on my system, and don't really have any knowledge of it, so I am hesitant to jump in and try to make a 3.0.3 port - is anyone working on that?

Posted by digy digy <di...@gmail.com>.

RE: Website

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
The house CMS is brand spanking new, http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html, and from my understanding it is what ASF would like to move everything towards. It looks flexible and easy to use, I really couldn't think of objections to using it.I actually built the skeleton files required and was hoping to get them set up by some committer / someone who know the process with ASF. The files are attached to this JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-379. From my understanding layouts are open to whatever we want to go with as long as they conform to branding guidelines: http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs. The skeleton files are set up to use the Forrest Layout to match the Lucene Java website, but again we aren't tied to anything from my understandingGrant asked the infrastructure team to set up some space (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-3181, https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/cms), but rereading the thread it looks like it might have been for Lucene/Solr. ~Prescott
As an aside, anytime I try to reply from Troy's emails, I get delivery failure..any thoughts why?

RE: Proposal Stage: Backwards Compatibility / Support

Posted by Alex Thompson <pi...@hotmail.com>.
I would lean towards open source conversion tools since having a robust one
would be useful beyond Lucene. I haven't dug into the sharpen code yet to
see what it would take but I could see creating our own fork of sharpen.

The original conversion I did had a little pre-processing just to get around
some sharpen bugs. It's documented in the issue.

Here is a Sharpen conversion Alex Thompson did in November:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12459581/Lucene.Net.Sharpen
20101114.zip
>From my understanding there was no pre/post processing done. I also believe
it's 2.9.2, not 3.0.3 as Digy's are.
Here is the JIRA issue for the associated conversations:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-380

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
One thing to note... Neither of those conversions create buildable code.

The j2cstranslator version, for example, included Java language
constructions like "import", "throws", etc.. which of course don't
compile.

The Tangible one has over 300 errors of various types. It's unclear
how much manual work would be required to fix this, or if that work
could be sufficiently generalized to be scriptable.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.
I'm pretty sure Tangible does provide free licenses to open source projects - but they must be well and established, which I believe Lucene qualifies as.
Regarding the methodology - I think based on free open source tools isn't required, as long as it's free to us, it should suit our purposes - why must it be open source if it fits our needs? (Tangible isn't open source).
Customizing the conversions is definitely beneficial, but if pre/post processing scripts achieve similar results to the actual customizing of the conversion process, I don't see any difference.
Regarding the non build-able solutions - Sharpen as is won't give us a build-able solution either - it will require us to tweak it, as would any option we choose. The question really is do we create scripts that run independently of the conversion process or do we customize the actual conversion process. I don't think there is really much distinction in which we chose.
Rolling our own conversion tool would be cool, but it's definitely outside my comfort zone, and my limited knowledge leads me to believe it would be more work than other options and would take away from the main goal of the project. This is more my own feelings, not necessarily grounded in reality.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.