Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "USHAKOV, Sergey" <s-...@yandex.ru> on 2011/05/02 21:16:37 UTC

M3-SNAPSHOT: mail queue management

Hi all,

being a newbie with JAMES, I have currently an instance of JAMES running in
test/semi-production mode.

Knowing for sure that some of the mails get occasionally "stuck" inside the
server, I have made an attempt to explore and manage the mail queues using
JConsole.

Under the branch "org.apache.james/component/queue/spool" I have found an
manageable object that showed several items being present in the queue. I
was able to browse them. I was also offered several ways to remove them, but
that did not fit my intentions :)

Having made severals stops and restarts of the server, I eventually managed
to reduce the number of the items in the queue from 26 to 2. With every
restart the "mailetcontainer.log" reported that some of the mails were
successfully delivered or sent out.

But it's beyond my understanding what are the remaining mails doing silently
in the queue. Why some of them get delivered upon restart, while others stay
in the queue? Is there any facility for not removing a mail item, but rather
re-activating its processing by the spool manager?

Any ideas, including a push towards an appropriate manual, woulld be most
appreciated.

Regards,
Sergey