Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kristian Rink <kr...@zimmer428.net> on 2005/04/23 13:48:39 UTC

Tomcat 5 + Apache SOAP?

Hi all;

being into the state of having to check out several SOAP
implementations to decide which one to be used for a certain project, I
currently (for the first time) am "playing around" with Tomcat and
Apache SOAP, trying to get a simple SOAP service up and running...
Actually, I'm not very close to that, right now, getting stuck in the
very first stage of getting Tomcat to work with Apache-SOAP:

* Tomcat itself is up and running.

* http://localhost:8080/soap/ works

* Trying to access http://localhost:8080/soap/servlet/rpcrouter ends up
with an error message like this:

---snip---
type Exception report

message

it from fulfilling this request.

exception

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error allocating a servlet instance
	org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke
(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service
(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process
(Http11Processor.java:856) org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol
$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket
(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.runIt
(LeaderFollowerWorkerThread.java:80)
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run
(ThreadPool.java:684) java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

root cause

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
	java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
	java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:620)
	java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass
(SecureClassLoader.java:124) java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass
(URLClassLoader.java:260) java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100
(URLClassLoader.java:56) java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run
(URLClassLoader.java:195) java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged
(Native Method) java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass
(URLClassLoader.java:188)

---snip---

Googling for that error left me pretty helpless since I by now tried
several hints regarding problems with Apache SOAP on top of Tomcat 4.x,
but none of these worked. So, can anyone enlighten me on where to tweak
to make the SOAP package find the javax.servlet package? System I'm
running:

Debian unstable
Tomcat 5.5.9
JDK 1.5.0
Apache SOAP 2.3.1

Additionally: Are there any other implementations of SOAP for Tomcat
that might be worth investigating?

Thanks for your patience and bye,
Kris

Re: Tomcat 5 + Apache SOAP?

Posted by Mark Leone <mi...@cox.net>.
I agree with Trond. And since I wrote my reply rather quickly I want to
make sure I'm clear. You only need to put in common/lib any jar files
that both Tomcat and Axis need, which certainly does not include
axis.jar and the other jars that come with the Axis distribution. I
thought that maybe Axis needed access to the jar file that contains
class HttpServlet, because I remember the installation instructions
aaying that certian other jar files had to be on the classpath; but I
checked and it doesn't look like axis needs to see HttpServlet.

Other than needing access to an XML parser, I don't think there's much
the Axis server needs beyond what you already have in Tomcat. You should
be able to just drop Axis in to Tomcat and have it run almost
immediately, unless you have a non-standard configuration.

Maybe apache SOAP required it, but it seems doubtful. It seems like the
reported error is more of a Tomcat problem. If you install Axis and get
the same error, please report back to us.

Re: Tomcat 5 + Apache SOAP?

Posted by "Trond G. Ziarkowski" <tr...@gep-as.com>.

Re: Tomcat 5 + Apache SOAP?

Posted by Mark Leone <mi...@cox.net>.