Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David <am...@starhub.net.sg> on 2003/11/23 18:45:51 UTC

[users@httpd] Password Sets for Each Website

Hi guys,

Currently I know how implement simple authentication with my HTTP
Server.
I uses the .htaccess and the password file to do it.
Basically I added some lines in the config file like the following

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/ABC">

            Options None
            AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

and in the ABC folder I have a .htaccess file as follows

AuthUserFile "C:\.htpasswd"
AuthName "Protected"
AuthType Basic
Require valid-user

Currently I have some 6 websites on my server which I like to have
password  protection. All these 6 protected websites share the same
"C:\.htpasswd". The folder ABC is just one of the 6 websites. There are
5 other folder in parallel to the ABC folders which are also protected
websites with the similar configuration lines as above.
All these 6 websites are using the same sets of ID and passwords.
However, what I want is actually only a particular set of IDs can access
a particular website (i.e. one of the 6).

What should I do such that I can create websites where only a specific
set of users can access a particular protected website and cannot access
other protected website.
Currently all users with an ID and password in the "C:\.htpasswd" can
access all my 6 websites (which is not really what I want).

Many thanks for your time and attention.

Regards
David

Re: [users@httpd] Password Sets for Each Website

Posted by Lodrö Sangpo Joergen Larsen <ni...@tdcspace.dk>.
I am not sure but how about trying to use groups. have each site be a different group and then require the user to be in a specific group.?

OmManiPemeHung
Many Greetings Viele Gruesse Mange Hilsener
Lodrö Sangpo Joergen Larsen
www.nimmersoft.com www.nimmersoft.dk
Karmapa Chenno
OmManiPemeHung

Posted by Daniel Lopez <da...@rawbyte.com>.

> Currently I have some 6 websites on my server which I like to have
> password  protection. All these 6 protected websites share the same
> "C:\.htpasswd".
[...]
> All these 6 websites are using the same sets of ID and passwords.
> However, what I want is actually only a particular set of IDs can access
> a particular website (i.e. one of the 6).
>
> What should I do such that I can create websites where only a specific
> set of users can access a particular protected website and cannot access
> other protected website.

Instead of using

Require valid-user

use

Require user user1 user2

or organize users in groups and use

Require group group1 group2

More info at

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/core.html#require

--
Teach Yourself Apache 2 -- http://apacheworld.org/ty24/

Re: [users@httpd] Password Sets for Each Website

Posted by bvr <bv...@xs4all.nl>.
Read documentation.

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
[plain text, please...]

David wrote:
> All these 6 protected websites share the same "C:\.htpasswd".
> [...] All these 6 websites are using the same sets of ID and passwords.
> However, what I want is actually only a particular set of IDs can
> access a particular website (i.e. one of the 6).

Why don't you create a password file for each site? That will usually be the
best approach; keep things separate. You could also be specific which user
or group can access which directories.

Regards,
Robert Andersson