Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Joe Zitnik <JZ...@hfcc.net> on 2007/02/13 13:00:21 UTC

Whitelist question

How would I whitelist mail from a listserv?  Since the mail is shown to
be from the user who sent it and not the listserv, I can't do a
whitelist_from.  Would it be easier to make a rule to look for the
listserv domain in the header?  How would I make a rule to look for just
a word in the header, rather than a defined type?

Re: Whitelist question

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Joe Zitnik wrote:
> How would I whitelist mail from a listserv?  Since the mail is shown
> to be from the user who sent it and not the listserv, I can't do a
> whitelist_from.  Would it be easier to make a rule to look for the
> listserv domain in the header?  How would I make a rule to look for
> just a word in the header, rather than a defined type?
whitelist_from will also match return-path type headers, not just From:.
Therefore, you can use it for mailing lists, as long as your mailserver
is creating a return-path or envelope-sender header before passing mail
to SA.

That said *NEVER* use whitelist_from unless you absolutely have to.
ALWAYS try to find a way to use whitelist_from_rcvd.

Re: Whitelist question

Posted by Sebastian Ries <se...@dtnet.de>.
Hi

> How would I whitelist mail from a listserv?  Since the mail is shown to
> be from the user who sent it and not the listserv, I can't do a
> whitelist_from.  Would it be easier to make a rule to look for the
> listserv domain in the header?  How would I make a rule to look for just
> a word in the header, rather than a defined type?

Define a whitelist_to ;-)

http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/howtos/spamassassin.html

Regards
Sebastian Ries

DT Netsolution GmbH -  Talaeckerstr. 30 -  D-70437 Stuttgart
Tel: +49-711-849910-36               Fax: +49-711-849910-936
WEB: http://www.dtnet.de/     email: Sebastian.Ries@dtnet.de