Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Sh...@lotus.com on 2001/03/22 17:33:07 UTC

RE: flat-file extensions for Xalan - donating code

Re:
---- you "Paul Brown" <pr...@fivesight.com> wrote ----
> As long as it's free, I'm happy...  How do I go about donating the code?

Well, first we'll need you to fill out this long form with some details on
your background, your famliy, any connections to political groups,
financial interests in software companies...

Oh, sorry, wrong form.  8-)

Um, just send it to the list.  But you have to state that you're donating
it to Apache, and let us put the Apache license on it, which generally
precludes having any other license on it.  If you 'own' the code, then I'm
pretty sure you can just decide whatever license you want to put on it -
you can probably even keep one copy for yourself that you give out
separately/personally under the GPL or whatever, and give another copy to
Apache to have the Apache license put on it.

As I understand it, the Apache license means anyone else can use our code
for free, they just have to give us credit: they can even re-package it and
sell it for a profit.  The GPL means anyone can use a module for free, but
basically any software they make that uses a GPL module has to also be
given away for free (basically) and use the GPL itself as well.

Bonus points for good coding style, instructions on where/how to check the
module into the existing xml-xalan CVS tree, and including a copy of the
Apache license in each source file to start with (just copy from an
existing Xalan file, updating copyright date, etc. as needed).  And super
bonus points for including javadoc and any samples showing it's use (which
I think you already had?).

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, so you shouldn't quote me on my legal
advice.  Normally dealing with licensing issues seems pretty boring, but it
*is* important, so thanks for everyone's patience.

- Shane