Posted to user@shale.apache.org by ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/29 23:50:46 UTC

Shale and Spring

Hi,
My understanding of Shale is an extension of JSF.
But what is the relation between Shale and Spring? My impression is
Spring is supposed to glue everything together.  Isn't that what shale
is doing too?

And there is another one called Seam.  It is supposed to glue jsf and
ejb 3.0.  How is that different from Shale?

Finally will shale functionality be moved to future version of JSF?

Thank you.

Re: Shale and Spring

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> I expect more the WebBeans spec. to bye advantages from Shale.
> WebBeans is sorta trying to specify the Seam framework.

buy ... :)

Re: Shale and Spring

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Shale and Spring

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 10/29/06, ying lcs <yi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> My understanding of Shale is an extension of JSF.
<snip/>

Shale leverages JSF extension points to provide additional
functionality that makes building web application easier, faster. The
list of the services available is here:

 http://shale.apache.org/

> But what is the relation between Shale and Spring? My impression is
> Spring is supposed to glue everything together.  Isn't that what shale
> is doing too?
<snap/>

The "glue together" part you refer to is probably the dependency
injection (or Inversion of Control container) bits. JSF provides
setter injection for managed beans. Shale also has an integration
module that allows access to some Spring beans and the web application
context. See the Shale Spring integration module documentation:

 http://shale.apache.org/shale-spring/index.html

> And there is another one called Seam.  It is supposed to glue jsf and
> ejb 3.0.  How is that different from Shale?

<snip/>

Seam is a different application framework altogether, and it does more
than glue JSF and EJB3. It does have some similar services (Seam has
Pageflow, Shale has dialogs, both have some concept of remoting
support for AJAXy bits etc.).