Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pawel Veselov <pa...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/28 00:05:41 UTC

Re: database pool and minIdle support in 8

Apologies for reviving a zombie.

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 8:43 AM, Pawel Veselov <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> ConnectionPool.init() attempts to borrow initialSize worth of
>>> connections. Imagine your database server is having problems at
>>> this time. This will make init() fail, and the pool creation fail,
>>> and your webapp is dead in the water after that
>> Is it? Does init() in fact fail? Which pol are you talking about?
> org.apache.tomcat.jdbc.pool.ConnectionPool. And actually, it doesn't.
> I'm sure it did at some point before, that's why I set initialSize to
> 0 (it's an old application), but I tested it on 8.0.49 and in 8.0.9
> just now, and the pool does come up and binds. So this is a non-issue.

I thought I tested this, by shutting down the DB and restarting the
application. But now I see that initialization does fail if a
connection can not be created during pool creation. Running this on
8.0.39. Full exception is pasted into https://pastebin.com/SShyhdix
The initialization errors can be controlled by
isIgnoreExceptionOnPreLoad JMX property. I'll have to see how to set
that before creating the pool.

Thank you.