Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Chamila De Alwis <ch...@wso2.com> on 2015/01/26 14:22:03 UTC

Python Cartridge Agent - Authenticated Git Artifact Synchronization - Script based approach

Hi,

I'm in the process of adapting Dulwich Python library to replace the
current libraries that are used in the Python cartridge agent, as discussed
in the mail thread titled "Pure Python library for Git".

However, the authenticated git repository cloning, which has been one of
the major issues since the beginning of the Python implementation, doesn't
seem to be working properly with Dulwich. I've opened an issue in the
Dulwich GitHub repository, but so far I didn't get a successful response.

Another approach to tackle this is to use platform dependent scripts along
with the Git binary to manage the repository related operations. For
example, in Linux, a Bash script can use the Git binary to execute the git
operations. The cartridge agent would only invoke the script based on the
OS type.

Of course, this is an initial thought and needs to be further investigated.
Please feel free to add your thoughts.

Regards,
Chamila de Alwis
Software Engineer | WSO2 | +94772207163
Blog: code.chamiladealwis.com

Re: Python Cartridge Agent - Authenticated Git Artifact Synchronization - Script based approach

Posted by Chamila De Alwis <ch...@wso2.com>.
+1 Imesh. Agent's git related code already contains git binary dependent
code. So this would be the quicker path to take.

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
Hi Devs,

May be we can switch to OS based binary Git client if we cannot find a
proper native Python Git library for this as this is a blocker. In a later
release we can switch it back once we get a proper fix. WDYT?

Thanks

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Chamila De Alwis <ch...@wso2.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in the process of adapting Dulwich Python library to replace the
> current libraries that are used in the Python cartridge agent, as discussed
> in the mail thread titled "Pure Python library for Git".
>
> However, the authenticated git repository cloning, which has been one of
> the major issues since the beginning of the Python implementation, doesn't
> seem to be working properly with Dulwich. I've opened an issue in the
> Dulwich GitHub repository, but so far I didn't get a successful response.
>
> Another approach to tackle this is to use platform dependent scripts along
> with the Git binary to manage the repository related operations. For
> example, in Linux, a Bash script can use the Git binary to execute the git
> operations. The cartridge agent would only invoke the script based on the
> OS type.
>
> Of course, this is an initial thought and needs to be further
> investigated. Please feel free to add your thoughts.
>
> Regards,
> Chamila de Alwis
> Software Engineer | WSO2 | +94772207163
> Blog: code.chamiladealwis.com