Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by snowcrash+spamassassin <sc...@gmail.com> on 2007/01/06 23:57:07 UTC

spamhaus' PBL is now *active* (in beta ... but still active). now what?

reading at the spamhaus site abt PBL i note,

	"WARNING! Some post-delivery filters use "full Received line
traversal" or "deep parsing", where the filter reads all the IPs in
the Received lines. Legitimate users, correctly sending good mail out
through their ISP's smarthost, will have PBL-listed IPs show up in the
first (lowest) Received header where their ISP picks it up. Such mail
should not be blocked! So, you should tell your filters to stop
comparing IPs against PBL at the IP which hands off to your mail
server! That last hand-off IP is the one which PBL is designed to
check. If you cannot configure your filters that way, then do not use
PBL to filter your mail."

with the ever-smarter filters available with SA & SARE etc, what -- if
anything -- should 'we' do/configure differently in SA's confs/ops to
avoid this issue?

thanks.

Re: spamhaus' PBL is now *active* (in beta ... but still active). now what?

Posted by snowcrash+spamassassin <sc...@gmail.com>.
> wow dude, that's quick -- I hear it went live only a few hours
> ago ;)

i've waited long with baited breath for
"JHFKJDG1054521@verizonwireless.com" et. al. to leave me the fsck
alone :-)

> As long as "trusted_networks" and "internal_networks" are configured
> correctly

"correctly" ?!

oh heck ... here we go again! ;-)