Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com> on 2003/06/06 01:31:28 UTC

Enhanced fetchmail

Attached is the config.xml for fetchpop3mail, an enhanced version of
fetchmail. This explains what the enhanced version can do. The code could be
incorporated into James by renaming to fetchmail, or added as an extra task
(I think having two similar tasks would be confusing), or not added at all
if the consensus is that the added functionality is inappropriate.

If you are not familiar with fetchmail and what it can do right now, take a
look at the fetchmail section in the current config.xml which is at
/src/config/james-config.xml in the CVS HEAD.

Currently, the code is implemented and seems to work well. I haven't really
stressed tested it and it lacks the level of documentation necessary for
submission. As mentioned above, if submitted, it should probably be renamed
to fetchmail and submitted as a patch for that. This is work I am happy to
do if the consensus is that these are appropriate enhancements to fetchmail.

Also, there are a couple of limitations to <alllocal> mentioned. If anyone
has any ideas how to workaround them, I would be happy hear.

Take a look. Are these valid enhancements to fetchmail? Are there better
ways of achieving what's been implemented? Let me know.

-- Steve