Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Steven Heckler <st...@accelebrate.com> on 2005/04/18 13:53:09 UTC

Running Tomcat on multiple processors on Windows 2003

Hi, All,

A client of mine is having trouble getting Tomcat 4.1.27 to make use of
multiple processors on his quad processor system under Windows 2003.  My
questions:

1.	What can he do to enable Tomcat to make use of all 4 processors?

2.	If a single instance of Tomcat can't make use of multiple
processors, is it possible to set up multiple Tomcat services, each tied
to a processor [I understand completely how to set up multiple Tomcat
services, I just don't know how to tie them to a specific processor]?

Here are my client's answers to my questions regarding his
configuration:

*	Which version of Windows are you running? Windows 2003
*	Which specific version of Tomcat are you running?  Tomcat 4.1.27
with the -server flag set
*	Which version of the J2SE SDK are you running Tomcat on top of?
JRE is 1.3.1
*	Are other applications successfully using the multiple
processors? Yes, Cognos is spawning processes that recognize the
multiple processors
*	How are you determining that Tomcat is running on only one
processor? When I look in Task Manager, I always see one processor
running at 100%. When I look at the running processes, the java.exe, is
running at 13%. This server has 4 processors, and is using
HyperThreading, so Windows sees 8 processors.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks so much for your help.

Best regards,

Steve

Steve Heckler

Accelebrate