Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Mehringer <dm...@beren.ncsa.uiuc.edu> on 2002/12/03 19:05:07 UTC

javax.servlet.ServletException when starting

I have a (valid) jar file in the WEB-INF/lib directory of one of my web
apps.  Threre are other jar files in the same directory which seem to load
fine on startup, but when loading this one, there is some error which I
don't understand (snippets from trace below from the log).  I'm running
tomcat 4.1.12 under linux. I can elaborate more if this description isnt
adequate. Thanks for any assistance.
Dave

2002-12-03 11:56:42 ContextConfig[/archive] Exception processing JAR at
resource path /WEB-INF/lib/huh.jar
javax.servlet.ServletException: Exception processing JAR at resource path
/WEB-INF/lib/huh.jar
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldScanJar(ContextConfig.java:930)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)
----- Root Cause -----
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid TLD resource path
/WEB-INF/lib/huh.jar
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.tldScanJar(ContextConfig.java:898)

2002-12-03 11:56:42 ContextConfig[/archive]: Marking this application
unavailable due to previous error(s)

Re: javax.servlet.ServletException when starting

Posted by David Mehringer <dm...@beren.ncsa.uiuc.edu>.
On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, David Brown wrote:

> David Mehringer writes:
>
> Hello Dave, i have special interest when people named Dave running linux
> boxes and tc ask questions so here goes: how do ur jars get to the locatin
> under: WEB-INF? how u r generating ur jars? what do the jars do? r the jars
> from another source or have u generated them? what version and flavor of
> linux r u running? what dev tools r u running? what version of jdk? anything
> that may help shed light on the problem. thanx, david.

Hi David,
Fortunately for me, we have the same first name :).  I see what I think is
the path your leading me down.  I built the jar file myself with jdk 1.2
but am running tomcat using jdk 1.4.  I rebuilt the jar file using the 1.4
version (tho the class files were still compiled using 1.2 -- I'm making a
mental note of this in case it causes me future problems).  The jar file
now seems to load ok on start up.  Just to answer some of your other
questions, I'm running Red Hat 7.3 with kernel 2.4.18-3smp.

Thanks for the questions, sometimes they can be just as good as answers
:).
Dave

Re: javax.servlet.ServletException when starting

Posted by David Brown <dw...@webitplanet.com>.