Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Andres Olave <an...@flynk.com> on 2000/11/23 06:32:47 UTC

Re: More on non-breaking spaces

Hi all,

I should have expected these replies because I changed subjects between two
related emails. Silly silly me.  You can have a look at the first email i
sent entitled: "using nbsp; in wml" which resides in the archive just above
this thread.

On with the reply:

You see, i already know about "&#160;" business and it DOESNT work in the
Nokia browser.  Why?
Becasue what cocoon does, is translate "&#160;" to the actual character code
within the resultant file (ie. the source wml or html file).

If you look at any source file that u generate using cocoon there will be NO
strings of "&#160;".  There are only the actual blank spaces (non-breaking
kind) within the source file.  This is works in IE and I presume any html
browser because they probably directly use the character.  But in the little
nokia browser, which has to parses the source file, it gives the following
error "cannot convert character".  The browser cannot display the page.  If
i replace the space character cocoon outputs the string "&nbsp;" or even
"&#160;", then everything works fine!

Also anything that looks like "&amp;nbsp;" in the source file will of course
also fail.  This rules out using CDATA or manually putting "&amp;nbsp;" as
part of the xslt, becaue "&amp;" isn't escaped (unlike "&160;").

And lastly as most people know, output escaping cannot be disabled totally
in cocoon

If this is confusing you lets get down to the really simple question at the
core of my problem:

I am wondering, once again, is there anyway to have a string such as
"&nbsp;" or even "&#160;" appear in the source file?

If not what the hell should i do? Becasue i really need these "nbsp;".
Should i have a hack at the cocoon source?

Andres

Posted by Roger Carneiro Soares <ro...@intelinet.com.br>.
Hi,

I'm no WML expert and I don't know what would be the impact of such
change, but, have you tried to change the WML formatter to be the XHTML
formatter in you cocoon.properties file?:
formatter.type.text/wml=org.apache.cocoon.formatter.XHTMLFormatter

I think your problem is that you are not able to say that your resulting
XML will use a XHTML DTD like or even a DTD defined by you. Using the
XHTML formatter, the XHTML DTD is implied (I think) and the &#160; char
is shown as &nbsp;.

I think it would be nice to have a XML formatter that generates XML that
uses a DTD specified by the developer somehow, if it's not already
possible...

Cheers,

Roger.