Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> on 2007/08/18 19:19:07 UTC

diff_memory.c compiler warning

In HEAD:

/bin/sh /Users/blair/Code/Subversion/svn-trunk-build-no-mods/libtool --tag=CC
--silent --mode=compile gcc -DDARWIN -DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK
-no-cpp-precomp  -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wshadow  -DSVN_DEBUG
-DAP_DEBUG  -I./subversion/include -I./subversion -I/opt/local/include/neon
-I/opt/local/include/apr-1   -I/opt/local/include/apr-1 -I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include   -o subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_memory.lo -c
subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_memory.c
subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_memory.c: In function 'output_unified_flush_hunk':
subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_memory.c:476: warning: passing argument 3 of
'svn_stream_write' from incompatible pointer type

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
CTO, OrcaWare Technologies

Re: diff_memory.c compiler warning

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.
On 8/18/07, Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> Er... Patches welcome?  ;-)
>

> On 8/18/07, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
> > In HEAD:
> >
> > /bin/sh /Users/blair/Code/Subversion/svn-trunk-build-no-mods/libtool
> > --tag=CC
> > --silent --mode=compile gcc -DDARWIN -DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK
> > -no-cpp-precomp  -Wall -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wshadow  -DSVN_DEBUG
> > -DAP_DEBUG  -I./subversion/include -I./subversion -I/opt/local/include/neon
> > -I/opt/local/include/apr-1   -I/opt/local/include/apr-1 -I/opt/local/include
> > -I/opt/local/include   -o subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_memory.lo -c
> > subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_memory.c
> > subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_memory.c: In function
> > 'output_unified_flush_hunk':
> > subversion/libsvn_diff/diff_memory.c:476: warning: passing argument 3 of
> > 'svn_stream_write' from incompatible pointer type

Fixed in r26167.

bye,

Erik.

Re: diff_memory.c compiler warning

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> writes:
> Finally, I also was working on getting another project into svn and
> didn't want to get sidetracked, so better to send a note then get
> diverted.
>
> We don't want to have people not comment or report compiler warnings
> if they are expected to fix them instead of just dropping a note to
> the list.

Totally agree (though I think Ben's followup was intended mainly to be
jocular, not critical).

I behave the same way as you.  If I see the fix and have time to make
it, then I make it; but if I only have time to post about it (say, for
fear of getting sidetracked), then I post, because that's still
useful.

Re: diff_memory.c compiler warning

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:
> On 8/19/07, Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:
>> Er, people can fix the commits they do :)
>
> That makes the build slaves fail longer than required (if they do). I
> hope we're all in this together, to get the best result, even though
> everybody has his own pet peeve...
>
> I also hope that people who make the commits can handle possible
> followup commits by others.
>
> Bye,
>

> Erik.
>
> PS: Note that the team thing isn't directed immediately and only at
> you, but more a remark in general that I think we don't have to wait
> for the original committer to fix the problem (or revert). If we want
> to be a team, I think everybody should accept that others may do that
> to their commits once in a while.

A couple of things.  There's been a tendency in this project to have people fix
the commits they do.  Did you offer to fix the ew fsfs unique transaction IDs
breaking the test suite on Windows :)

I got your point to fix simple things, but on the other side, not all the fixes
are simple.  There may be deeper logic errors indicated by a simple warning then
just removing unused variables; the author may have intended something else.

For example, a simple document/code discrepancy that I found a month or so, Karl
stated it indicated a deeper issue in the code.  So even there, to do a quick
fix on a comment would have covered up a deeper issue.

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <eh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.
Er... Patches welcome?  ;-)