Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/25 14:08:36 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] End of life for Hive 1.x, 2.x, 3.x

Hi all,

In the last exchanges there was a general consensus to EOL Hive 1.X but no
additional action.
I believe the next step would be to start a VOTE and move forward with an
official announcement.

I think it would be helpful for the end-users to know which releases are
supported and which are strongly discouraged.
The Hadoop community keeps this information in their wiki [1].

Although, I am still not convinced that we should encourage users to use
the older release lines (2.X, 3.X) we can postpone the decision for the
time being and proceed just for 1.X.

Best,
Stamatis

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HADOOP/EOL+%28End-of-life%29+Release+Branches

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [DISCUSS] End of life for Hive 1.x, 2.x, 3.x

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.
Hi Ayush,

I'm working on the last few commits to backport to the branch.
Hopefully within 1-2 months I can start the release process. Our goal
is to upgrade Hive 2.x before the Spark 4.0 release coming up mid this
year.

Chao

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

Posted by vihang karajgaonkar <vi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Attila Turoczy <at...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
Dear PMC's,

Posted by Chao Sun <su...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sankar Hariappan <Sa...@microsoft.com.INVALID>.
+1 for making both Hive 1&2 EOL

-Sankar

Posted by Attila Turoczy <at...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Denys Kuzmenko <dk...@apache.org>.
+1 for marking Hive 1.x EOL

Posted by Stamatis Zampetakis <za...@gmail.com>.
+1 for marking Hive 1.x EOL.

I will also take the opportunity to ask again for Hive 2.x. Are there
people willing to take on the maintenance of the branch-2 line? The
people who take on the maintenance of the release line should (as a
bare minimum) ensure that all CVEs (existing and new ones) are
backported in a timely manner and cut new releases once this happens.
If there are no volunteers to take on this task then the PMC should
also vote for closing this branch.

Best,
Stamatis

Posted by Ayush Saxena <ay...@gmail.com>.

[...]