Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ben Wong <be...@matthiasgroup.com> on 2005/08/30 00:24:27 UTC

Implementing Two Drop-Downs where One's Choices Depends on the Other

Hi everyone,

I am sure this question has been asked before, but I have tried to search
the mailing list without much luck.

The question is, is there an easy or "best practice" way to implement two
drop-down boxes where the selection choices for one of them depends on the
second one.  In addition, the selection choices should change without having
to go back to the server (e.g. via javascript).

I already know how to implement the approach where it goes back to the
server every time the "parent" drop-down box changes to reload the child
drop-down box (e.g. example shown in Kent Tong's excellent Enjoying Web
Development with Tapestry book), but I like to know if there is a way to do
this easily without having to go back to the server every time.  I saw that
there is a component called "DynamicSelectionList" on the Tassel web site,
but the documentation on how to use it is lacking (the site is down as
stated).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ben Wong

Re: Implementing Two Drop-Downs where One's Choices Depends on the Other

Posted by Shing Hing Man <ma...@yahoo.com>.
I have emailed you one of my examples and a
description
on the  parameters of  DynamicSelectionList.

Hope that helps.

Shing

--- Ben Wong <be...@matthiasgroup.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> I am sure this question has been asked before, but I
> have tried to search
> the mailing list without much luck.
>

> The question is, is there an easy or "best practice"
> way to implement two
> drop-down boxes where the selection choices for one
> of them depends on the
> second one.  In addition, the selection choices
> should change without having
> to go back to the server (e.g. via javascript).
>

> I already know how to implement the approach where
> it goes back to the
> server every time the "parent" drop-down box changes
> to reload the child
> drop-down box (e.g. example shown in Kent Tong's
> excellent Enjoying Web
> Development with Tapestry book), but I like to know
> if there is a way to do
> this easily without having to go back to the server
> every time.  I saw that
> there is a component called "DynamicSelectionList"
> on the Tassel web site,
> but the documentation on how to use it is lacking
> (the site is down as
> stated).
>

> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Ben Wong