Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2019/02/08 21:36:59 UTC

Renaming repos and security concerns

HI,

In the thread on guidelines for distributions I suggested some common naming to help with trademarks, branding and be in line with release policy.

There's a possible security issue here, as people could (in theory) take over the old name and put something malicious there if the old name was removed.

Can rename GitHub
https://help.github.com/articles/renaming-a-repository/

Can’t rename docker
https://success.docker.com/article/how-do-you-rename-a-docker-hub-repository

Can’t rename on NPM
Can’t rename but can deprecate and point to new one

Can rename on PiPy
Is possible but also supports deprecate. But best to use abandon feature and pick a replacement.

 I think we’re fine with:
- GitHub is OK as it controlled by INFRA
- Docker is OK as /u/apache is controlled by INFRA. Outside that space is a concern.
- NPM you can deprecate one and point to new one so no one can take the old package
- PiPy you can use abandon and point to a replacement so none can take the old package

Any other concerns?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Renaming repos and security concerns

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

> On Feb 9, 2019, at 8:16 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> As I mentioned else-thread, I think the date should be the date the repository is moved to the Incubator, not the date the project is voted into the incubator.
>
> This seams reasonable but that not what has been happening in most cases, the repo get transferred and then unapproved release are made.

And I agree that once the repo is transferred, the project is under control of the PPMC and releases must then be approved by the PPMC and then the IPMC.

> It may also make it hard for people outside that repo (including possibly some on the initial committers list) to get access if it’s under some corporations control.

And that's exactly what I would want. Granting access only to the "outside project committers" means that it's not under the control of the new PPMC. And releases in this phase of the project are not "approved Apache releases". Perfect.

Regards,

Craig

> Thanks,
> Justin

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>

Re: Renaming repos and security concerns

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Hehe... I think she just said "patches welcome" 😋

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

> On Feb 8, 2019, at 1:36 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
> In the thread on guidelines for distributions I suggested some common naming to help with trademarks, branding and be in line with release policy.
>
> There's a possible security issue here, as people could (in theory) take over the old name and put something malicious there if the old name was removed.
>
> Can rename GitHub
> https://help.github.com/articles/renaming-a-repository/
>
> Can’t rename docker
> https://success.docker.com/article/how-do-you-rename-a-docker-hub-repository
>
> Can’t rename on NPM
> Can’t rename but can deprecate and point to new one
>
> Can rename on PiPy
> Is possible but also supports deprecate. But best to use abandon feature and pick a replacement.
>
> I think we’re fine with:
> - GitHub is OK as it controlled by INFRA
> - Docker is OK as /u/apache is controlled by INFRA. Outside that space is a concern.
> - NPM you can deprecate one and point to new one so no one can take the old package
> - PiPy you can use abandon and point to a replacement so none can take the old package
>
> Any other concerns?

We need to make sure that pre-Apache releases whether source or binary are treated in a fair way.

An über-comment - let’s be exceedingly careful with time limits for “compliance”.

I think it would be good to finalize proposed policies from master copies on the wiki.

Regards,
Dave