Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2004/02/02 20:51:49 UTC

Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/maps apache_functions.map

geoff@apache.org wrote:
> geoff       2004/01/19 11:19:45
>
>   Modified:    t/response/TestAPI rutil.pm server_util.pm
>                xs/maps  apache_functions.map
>   Log:
>   Apache::get_status_line is now Apache::Server::get_status_line

This function has nothing to do with Server. ap_get_status_line is an http
function. It should be in Apache::RequestUtil, or similar.

Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/maps apache_functions.map

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:

> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>>geoff@apache.org wrote:
>>

>>>geoff       2004/01/19 11:19:45
>>>
>>>  Modified:    t/response/TestAPI rutil.pm server_util.pm
>>>               xs/maps  apache_functions.map
>>>  Log:
>>>  Apache::get_status_line is now Apache::Server::get_status_line
>>

>>This function has nothing to do with Server. ap_get_status_line is an
>>http function. It should be in Apache::RequestUtil, or similar.
>

> but neither is it per-request.
>
> get_status_line returns the Apache status line associated with a particular
> HTTP response code.  note that this is not necessarily the same as the RFC
> description of the HTTP response code (see, for example 414, 501, and 504
> for places where they differ slightly) - it's the Apache-specific
> implementation of HTTP codes in 2616 (and other RFCs).

ap_get_status_line lives in http_protocol.c and it deals only with HTTP
protocol status. Server deals with other protocols and it's probably not the
best idea to pollute it with HTTP specific functions, even if they are special
to Apache.

> my thought here was to have the Apache::Server namespace contain server
> attributes, as well as per-server scoped activities and particulars, while
> keeping everything in Request* focused on per-request activites.  so, I
> think that get_status_line belongs in Apache::Server because it is a
> function that returns properties of the Apache server (namely the string
> Apache associates with a particular HTTP response code).

Yes, but Apache::Server <= HTTP in mp2, not Apache::Server <=> HTTP as it was
in mp1.

Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/maps apache_functions.map

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

Stas Bekman wrote:
> geoff@apache.org wrote:
>
>> geoff       2004/01/19 11:19:45
>>
>>   Modified:    t/response/TestAPI rutil.pm server_util.pm
>>                xs/maps  apache_functions.map
>>   Log:
>>   Apache::get_status_line is now Apache::Server::get_status_line
>

> This function has nothing to do with Server. ap_get_status_line is an
> http function. It should be in Apache::RequestUtil, or similar.

but neither is it per-request.

get_status_line returns the Apache status line associated with a particular
HTTP response code.  note that this is not necessarily the same as the RFC
description of the HTTP response code (see, for example 414, 501, and 504
for places where they differ slightly) - it's the Apache-specific
implementation of HTTP codes in 2616 (and other RFCs).

my thought here was to have the Apache::Server namespace contain server
attributes, as well as per-server scoped activities and particulars, while
keeping everything in Request* focused on per-request activites.  so, I
think that get_status_line belongs in Apache::Server because it is a
function that returns properties of the Apache server (namely the string
Apache associates with a particular HTTP response code).

--Geoff