Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Mat Walker <ma...@alexview.com> on 2015/01/20 22:42:43 UTC

Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Hi Guys,

I have used OO stuff for a while and hope I have put enough back to payback
the use.

Today, I have the unfortunate task of having to create xslx files for an
application that only reads those.  So i did a search to see if there was
any way to get Calc to write out that format (or a plugin to enable that).

However, all I came across was a vile tirade of abuse from the user
'villeroy' on your (usually great) Forum.  This abuse was aimed at a user,
who also was asking about xlsx.. It is people like 'villeroy' who make
'normal' folk like me go elsewhere.

I realise this individual is an independent person and not 'controlled' by
the OO team; but there really should be a way of being able to report this
sort of nastiness as it reflects badly on the folk who really do put a lot
of their own time into these things and tars them with the same brush.
Probably needs to be a way of getting rid of the bad apples in the basket...

See -
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56953&start=30

Mat

RE: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.
I see the thread you are objecting to.

I agree the tirade about OOXML (to which a few others of the Forum team added their voices) is not useful with regard to the discussion that started in 2012 and continued there into the end of last year.

Your concern about the attitudes expressed there and the assertions of various facts that one might wonder about the veracity of is noted, and I am answering your message with my Apache hat on.

Meanwhile, did you get your question answered?

If not, I suggest that you create a free OneDrive account and see if you can accomplish what you want by uploading an .ods, then opening it there via the Microsoft Office Excel web application.  You should be able to download the resulting .xslx file too, if it satisfies your needs.  If you are starting from a .xslx, all the better.  Upload that.  Microsoft should provide as much fidelity in the Web application as you are likely to get anywhere, aye?

That avenue is all free and works in most modern browsers.  It also works from some devices, but there may be more limitations.

You might need to be on Windows to get the download as XSLX to work for you.  You can always make the document semi-public and send a link to the persons you want to have it.  They can download it themselves and even co-edit it with you, if you allow that.

See https://onedrive.live.com/

See https://office.com/

(These web apps are going to work with DropBox in the future, but it apparently isn't soup yet.)

Please let us know if this solves your immediate problem,

 - Dennis

PS: For any follow-up, please reply to users @ openoffice.apache.org where other experts may have advice and others can learn the solutions to common problems.  The OpenOffice Forums have an extensive knowledge base at https://forum.openoffice.org/,

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Martin Groenescheij wrote:
> On 21/01/2015 8:42 AM, Mat Walker wrote:
>> However, all I came across was a vile tirade of abuse from the user
>> 'villeroy' on your (usually great) Forum.  This abuse was aimed at a
>> user,
>> who also was asking about xlsx.. It is people like 'villeroy' who make
>> 'normal' folk like me go elsewhere.
> We know that communication is not Villeroy's best quality, but he only
> get abusive after posters keep coming back with the "BUT I WANT"attitude.

I quite share Martin's point of view here. Anyway, Mat is not the person
who received the "impolite" answer, three months passed since that
answer was given and a better OOXML support is in the works at
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Ooxml

>> I realise this individual is an independent person and not 'controlled' by
>> the OO team; but there really should be a way of being able to report this

The OpenOffice team for sure does not "control" anyone. People who interact
on our discussion lists, and this includes the forum, should respect the
code of conduct at http://openoffice.apache.org/list-conduct.html
(that page also answers the question asked in the subject line).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/21/2015 06:56 PM, jonathon wrote:

> On 21/01/15 05:50, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
>
>> People who want to write the XLSX format are likely to not understand
> why he might feel so strongly about it.
>
> This is one of those complex issues, that usually has people talking
> past one another, totally ignoring what the other is saying,
> constructing straw-men to further mis-communicate their ideas, as part
> of their process of maximizing non-communication.
>
>> Hagar indicated that it will never be able to cope with OOXML. Not sure if that is true,
> Compatibility depends upon how much loss one is willing to undergo, with
> respect to:
> * Content;
> * Presentation Markup;
> * Semantic Markup;
> * Other types of Markup;
>
> Rephrased:
> a) Willing to lose everything but content;
> b) Willing to lose everything but content and presentation markup;
> c) Unwilling to lose content, presentation markup, semantic markup, or
> other types of markup;
>
> A not so minor issue is that the MSO *x file formats, and OOXML file
> formats are two dissimilar file formats, that, at first glance, appear
> to be identical.
>
> IOW, even if AOO has perfect OOXML file format compatibility, it means
> squat, in terms of MSO *x file format compatibility.
Well, the reasons for adding it are obvious... so that you can read /
write the format.

Reasons for not supporting it:

1.  Uses resources that could be used for other things.
2.  ideology: Force people to ODF formats
3.  The format is poorly defined and contains all sorts of garbage in it

You know, those sorts of things.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

RE: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Although I have no idea what the significant facts actually are -- they are not so pronounced as folks are claiming here and you could say the same for ODF versus implementations of it -- Andrew was quoting Hagar.  Andrew says right there that he does not know the claim is true.  Context matters [;<).

 - Dennis

> ...it will never be able to cope with OOXML.

So, now you're trying to lock-in LO users in ODF format? Priceless.

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le 22/01/2015 02:08, Urmas a écrit :
> "Andrew Douglas Pitonyak":
>
>> ...it will never be able to cope with OOXML.
>
> So, now you're trying to lock-in LO users in ODF format? Priceless.

Please be more precise in your quotes. You seem to imply that Andrew said that. It was me.

Lock-in LO users with ODF format? You are saying that using an ISO standard format (a true one) would be similar to vendor lock-in policy? And that .xlsx is the way of freedom for LO users? That's priceless! You made my day.

What I did mean and still believe is that no application ever will be able to be really compatible with this format (I mean the custom version of OOXML since nobody use the ISO flavor).

As for Villeroy's replies, he was just replying to whiners. And whiners are just whiners, they come to rant and they add no value at all to the forum. Plenty of similar threads where users understand and either cope with that or use MS Office, without ranting.

By the way, OP is NOT subscribed to the mailing list. He's very likely to have seen only ONE reply (from Andrea). He may consider that nobody cares, that's nasty, too.

Moreover, I think there are also some nasty replies in the mailing list from time to time. It can hardly be avoided, we are all just humans.

Hagar

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/22/2015 10:04 PM, Julian Thomas wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2015, at 00:18, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org> wrote:
>>
>> Oh, and I have also heard some very strong opinions that PDF export support should be pulled; another minority opinion.
> PLEASE - do not pull that!

It is a very minority opinion, I would not stress it. I would be a bit
distressed if they did pull it.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Julian Thomas wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2015, at 00:18, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
>> Oh, and I have also heard some very strong opinions that PDF export support should be pulled; another minority opinion.
> PLEASE - do not pull that!

Nobody will. Removing features takes a lot of work too! This is not even
worth being taken seriously.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by Julian Thomas <jt...@jt-mj.net>.
> On Jan 22, 2015, at 00:18, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org> wrote:
>
> Oh, and I have also heard some very strong opinions that PDF export support should be pulled; another minority opinion.

PLEASE - do not pull that!

 —
jt - jt@jt-mj.net

If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is - John von Neumann

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/21/2015 08:08 PM, Urmas wrote:
> "Andrew Douglas Pitonyak":
>
>> ...it will never be able to cope with OOXML.
>
> So, now you're trying to lock-in LO users in ODF format? Priceless.

First, note that the quoted text is a partial snipped pulled from the
forum post that was not written by me. That said....

Every now and then, the topic will come up as to whether or not writing
of OOXML should be supported; and there are always people who are not
just against it, but really against it. I think that it is a minority
opinion. I think that someone stated somewhere in this thread that
support is in the works for AOO. Also, I would be very annoyed if the LO
folks pulled their existing support.

Posted by Urmas <da...@gmail.com>.
"Andrew Douglas Pitonyak":

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On 01/20/2015 08:07 PM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 11:44:12 +1100
> Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM> wrote:
>
>> On 21/01/2015 8:42 AM, Mat Walker wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I have used OO stuff for a while and hope I have put enough back to payback
>>> the use.
>>>
>>> Today, I have the unfortunate task of having to create xslx files for an
>>> application that only reads those.  So i did a search to see if there was
>>> any way to get Calc to write out that format (or a plugin to enable that).
>>>
>>> However, all I came across was a vile tirade of abuse from the user
>>> 'villeroy' on your (usually great) Forum.  This abuse was aimed at a user,
>>> who also was asking about xlsx.. It is people like 'villeroy' who make
>>> 'normal' folk like me go elsewhere.
>> We know that communication is not Villeroy's best quality, but he only
>> get abusive after posters keep coming
>> back with the "BUT I WANT"attitude.
>> Villeroy is highly appreciated for his contribution and has proven that
>> he knows what he is talking about.
> It is worth examining the full thread (#31 postings), only one entry (#30) of which is quoted by the OP in this list-topic
>
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56953
>

> See -
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56953&start=30
>
> Mat

Ahhh, I had missed that it was page 2 of 2 and that there was stuff
before it...

There is a group of people who believe that AOO should not support
writing other document types. I see that the primary issue is probably
related to Villeroy's strongly held belief in this area. In other words,
it seems that his hot buttons were pushed on that account. People who
want to write the XLSX format are likely to not understand why he might
feel so strongly about it.

I am a bit surprised that it was not mentioned that LO is able to write
this format. Hagar indicated that it will never be able to cope with
OOXML. Not sure if that is true, but, it is not likely to deal with it
well since it is so convoluted.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
It just happens that Villeroy's post was the first on page 2 following a longer page 1.

 - Dennis

Posted by Andrew Douglas Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.

Posted by TN Patriot <ir...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 07:42:43 +1000
Mat Walker <ma...@alexview.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have used OO stuff for a while and hope I have put enough back to payback
> the use.
>
> Today, I have the unfortunate task of having to create xslx files for an
> application that only reads those.  So i did a search to see if there was
> any way to get Calc to write out that format (or a plugin to enable that).
>
> However, all I came across was a vile tirade of abuse from the user
> 'villeroy' on your (usually great) Forum.  This abuse was aimed at a user,
> who also was asking about xlsx.. It is people like 'villeroy' who make
> 'normal' folk like me go elsewhere.
>
> I realise this individual is an independent person and not 'controlled' by
> the OO team; but there really should be a way of being able to report this
> sort of nastiness as it reflects badly on the folk who really do put a lot
> of their own time into these things and tars them with the same brush.
> Probably needs to be a way of getting rid of the bad apples in the basket...
>
> See -
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=56953&start=30
>
> Mat

Ask your wife if she has your cods in her purse and then ask if you can have
them back.

Re: Way of reporting nastiness in your forum?

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2015-01-20, 9:10 PM Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> I agree the tirade about OOXML (to which a few others of the Forum team added their voices) is not useful with regard to the discussion that started in 2012 and continued there into the end of last year.

The originator of the thread marked it solved and made no more posts.The people who later
complained about the lack of XLSX support in OpenOffice had nothing to contribute to the
original poster. Almost all of them have not made any posts to the forum except on this thread.
Looks like a bunch of whiners to me. I would have been tempted to tell them to f*** off, but
would probably have just told them to either use native AOO formats or to go buy MS Office if
the insist on using the new MS formats.

--

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada