Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Tom Lloyd <th...@yahoo.com> on 2010/02/17 10:44:56 UTC

Rivet & html forms

Hi All,

Thank you for your previous help getting rivet running. I am now trying to get it to work with simple html forms and a mysql database. I am at the stage that I have a form filled with data which I can read manipulate/verify and is ready for submission into the database. I have three buttons that call the rivet script with different names. Can you take the buttons name that calls the script and perform an action based on that information? How do I access that information in my script? I have really struggled to find any comprehensive rivet examples.

1. I would like information such as which page called the script.
2. Which button was pressed to call differing actions on the data.
3. If anyone has some good rivet reading / examples I would really appreciate them.

Very new to web scripting so please bare with me, if there is some essential reading I should do first on html etc any clues would be appreciated.

Tom

Re: Rivet & html forms

Posted by "Peter C. Lai" <pe...@simons-rock.edu>.
On 2010-02-17 01:44:56AM -0800, Tom Lloyd wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> Thank you for your previous help getting rivet running. I am now trying to get it to work with simple html forms and a mysql database. I am at the stage that I have a form filled with data which I can read manipulate/verify and is ready for submission into the database. I have three buttons that call the rivet script with different names. Can you take the buttons name that calls the script and perform an action based on that information? How do I access that information in my script? I have really struggled to find any comprehensive rivet examples.
>
> 1. I would like information such as which page called the script.

load_env ARRAY

puts "Script name: $ARRAY(SCRIPT_NAME)"

> 2. Which button was pressed to call differing actions on the data.

Well you could set a flag via a hidden form variable and then read that via

var get formvariablename

Or use javascript onclick() that will lead to an XMLHttpRequest, but AJAX
is a bit beyond what you're looking for I think :)

There is 1 submit button per form. If you want multiple buttons then you
need to instantiate multiple forms.

> 3. If anyone has some good rivet reading / examples I would really appreciate them.
>
> Very new to web scripting so please bare with me, if there is some essential reading I should do first on html etc any clues would be appreciated.

form.html:

<form action="nextpage.rvt" method="POST">
Enter your Name here:
<input name="name" length="25">
<BR>
<input type="hidden" name="buttonpressedflag1" value="1">
<input type="submit">
</form>

nextpage.rvt:
<?
load_env ENV

set name [ var get name ]

set flag [ var get buttonpressedflag1 ]

puts "Hello $name!<BR>"

if {$flag == 1} {
   puts "also flag was tripped"
}
puts "<BR>"

puts "Script name: $ENV(SCRIPT_NAME)"
?>

Peter C. Lai                 | Bard College at Simon's Rock
Systems Administrator        | 84 Alford Rd.
Information Technology Svcs. | Gt. Barrington, MA 01230 USA
peter AT simons-rock.edu     | (413) 528-7428