Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Paul Kuykendall (EUS)" <Pa...@am1.ericsson.se> on 2003/05/15 21:55:46 UTC

Scriptlet to struts/jsp/taglib translation problem

Hi,

Being very new to JSP/Servlet/Struts programming, I'm having some problems in translating a scriptlet into a less kludgy alternative using struts/JSPs and possibly the occasional taglib.  I'm trying to generate a table similar to:

PROFILE   MINVAL   MAXVAL   MSGSIZE   ENABLED
abcdefg     1         9        4         x
bcdefgh     1         9        4
cdefghi     1         9        4         x
defghij     1         9        4
efghijk     1         9        4         x

Where the profile name (eg. abcdefg) is a link to a form that gets prepopulated with the minval, maxval, msgsize, and enabled fields as editable and the profile name as not editable.

I've been reading _Struts in Action_ [Ted Husted] and am trying to figure out if using a smart forwarding technique will help do part of what I want to do (the link to the edit page).  My problem is that I still don't know how to deal with the synchronization and iterating through the list of entries.  The guys that wrote the back-end say that it must be inn a synchronized block to protect from multiple access/change.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this may be accomplished or things to look into.  Due to project requirements I can't use struts 1.1 (only released versions of libraries may be used).

The scriptlet that I am currently using to just dump the datastore is listed below.

<% /* Scriptlet source that lists the items w/o links to edit */

ServletContext servletContext = getServletContext();
MessageSizeCalculator messageSizeCalculator =
    (MessageSizeCalculator) servletContext.getAttribute(
    ProjectServletContextAttributeNames.REWRITE_RULE_DB);

synchronized(messageSizeCalculator)
{
    Iterator i = messageSizeCalculator.getRulesIterator();
    while (i.hasNext())
    {
        String profile = (String)i.next();
        out.print("<tr>");
        out.print("<td>" + profile + "</td>");
        out.print("<td>"
          + messageSizeCalculator.getRule(profile).getMinMsgSize()
          + "</td>");
        out.print("<td>"
          + messageSizeCalculator.getRule(profile).getMaxMsgSize()
          + "</td>");
        out.print("<td>"
          + messageSizeCalculator.getRule(profile).getMsgSize()
        out.print("<td>"
          + messageSizeCalculator.getRule(profile).isEnabled()
        out.print("</tr>");
    }
}
%>