Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com> on 2013/02/07 16:39:50 UTC

OT: Servlet 3.1 / JSP 2.3

This is only slightly related to Tomcat, in that Servlet 3.1 / JSP 2.3 work is happening in trunk/8.0. Hence the "OT."

I was looking through the JSRs for EE 7 last night and realized I couldn't find anything about JSP 2.3 in any of them. I know JSP 2.3 exists because of Mark Thomas's presentation (http://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2012-10-Apache-Tomcat8-preview.pdf). But I cannot find a JSR for it. Is it part of JSR 340 (the Servlet 3.1 specification), or is there a JSR I haven't found yet, or has no JSR been created yet?

Also, I figured since I couldn't find any information about it on Oracle's site or the JCP site that it must not be very far along, and yet here it is, on the Maven central repository (uploaded January 12, 2013), without any indication in the version that it's beta or milestone or anything of the sort: http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cjavax.servlet.jsp%7Cjavax.servlet.jsp-api%7C2.3.0%7Cjar

Does anybody know the answer to this?

Nick

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient: (1) you may not disclose, use, distribute, copy or rely upon this message or attachment(s); and (2) please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then delete this message and its attachment(s). Underwriters Laboratories Inc. and its affiliates disclaim all liability for any errors, omissions, corruption or virus in this message or any attachments.

RE: OT: Servlet 3.1 / JSP 2.3

Posted by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com>.
> It looks like a work-in-progress to me. The only change I see to the public API is dropping some runtime exceptions from a handful of method declarations.

Interesting. It sure would be nice if the Maven artifact had SOME indication of this, like "beta" in the version or something similar like the Servlet 3.1 (3.1-b05) and EL 3.0 (3.0-b04) artifacts. There's not even a status page for the project. I know that it's not a JSR and there's no expert group, but I'd hoped for at least some kind of status page...

Since I gather that you're in contact with someone who knows what's going on over there, and likely will have to garner more information for your ApacheCon presentation, I'd love if you'd share whatever you find out. :-)

Thanks,

Re: OT: Servlet 3.1 / JSP 2.3

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 07/02/2013 16:00, Williams, Nick wrote:
>> There is no JSR and no Expert Group.
>> JSP 2.3 will be handled as a maintenance release of 2.2.
>
> Well that explains why I couldn't find it the JSR. :-P
>
>> The changes are (as far as I am aware):
>> - fix typos
>> - limit HTTP methods that JSPs respond to (to HEAD, GET, POST)
>> - changes required as a result of EL 3.0 (don't know what these will be)
>> - anything else Oracle has thought of since I last spoke to the person maintaining the JSP spec
>
> Sounds innocuous enough ... probably. That last one is scary. ;-)
>
>> That is from the spec lead.
>
> Does this mean that it IS the final JSP 2.3 API? Or is it still "in progress?"
>
>> It will be interesting to see what a diff of the javap output between that and JSP 2.2 shows.
>> /me Starts downloading that JAR
>
> Since you're already doing this, do you mind sharing the diff?

It looks like a work-in-progress to me. The only change I see to the
public API is dropping some runtime exceptions from a handful of method
declarations.

Mark

>>  There will be an update of my Tomcat 8 presentation at ApacheCon NA in Portland in a few weeks time.
>
> I look forward to it. Wish I could afford (time and $) to go. I'll have to settle with reading the slides afterwards.

There might be some audio recordings available. There are for ApacheCon
EU 2012 (and some video too).

Mark

RE: OT: Servlet 3.1 / JSP 2.3

Posted by "Williams, Nick" <ni...@ul.com>.

Re: OT: Servlet 3.1 / JSP 2.3

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 07/02/2013 15:39, Williams, Nick wrote:
> This is only slightly related to Tomcat, in that Servlet 3.1 / JSP
> 2.3 work is happening in trunk/8.0. Hence the "OT."
>

> I was looking through the JSRs for EE 7 last night and realized I
> couldn't find anything about JSP 2.3 in any of them. I know JSP 2.3
> exists because of Mark Thomas's presentation
> (http://people.apache.org/~markt/presentations/2012-10-Apache-Tomcat8-preview.pdf).
> But I cannot find a JSR for it. Is it part of JSR 340 (the Servlet
> 3.1 specification), or is there a JSR I haven't found yet, or has no
> JSR been created yet?

There is no JSR and no Expert Group.

JSP 2.3 will be handled as a maintenance release of 2.2.

The changes are (as far as I am aware):
- fix typos
- limit HTTP methods that JSPs respond to (to HEAD, GET, POST)
- changes required as a result of EL 3.0 (don't know what these will be)
- anything else Oracle has thought of since I last spoke to the person
maintaining the JSP spec

> Also, I figured since I couldn't find any information about it on
> Oracle's site or the JCP site that it must not be very far along, and
> yet here it is, on the Maven central repository (uploaded January 12,
> 2013), without any indication in the version that it's beta or
> milestone or anything of the sort:
> http://search.maven.org/#artifactdetails%7Cjavax.servlet.jsp%7Cjavax.servlet.jsp-api%7C2.3.0%7Cjar

That is from the spec lead.

It will be interesting to see what a diff of the javap output between
that and JSP 2.2 shows.

/me Starts downloading that JAR

> Does anybody know the answer to this?

The above is the best I can do. There will be an update of my Tomcat 8