Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rajath Shashidhara <ra...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/17 20:05:55 UTC

GSOC 2013

Hello Mr. Alexandro Colorado,

Ariel Constela-Haile  suggested that one who suggested the idea on GSOC
idea page is the mentor for that project. So I'm contacting you for help.

I have a problem. I thought that the mentor will be the best guy to discuss
with.
My end-semester exams are starting from April 25th. So I will not be able
to spend a lot of time for the coming days.(till May 12th). As the
mentoring organizations will announce the list of students by April 22nd, I
wanted to know what more I can do to prove myself that I'm a capable
candidate for GSOC 2013. I have worked on two bugs  on your page till now.
I have partially solved one of them(got response from a people that I have
done the right thing to solve the bug), although I was unable to produce a
patch due to my tight schedule. My holidays are starting from May13th, I'll
be able to spend a lot of time on this later. I am getting used to your
huge code base, and during my holidays I'll be able to work on this with
more ease as time passes.

My suggestion to your proposal:
We could also add a feature called "Import from Google SpreadSheet" and
"Export to Google SpreadSheet" which adds the feature of cloud storage to
openoffice!.

Also I wanted some suggestion on writing my application. Should I include
the above suggestion in it? I will draft my application and please suggest
any modifications to it.

Please help me! I am very excited about being a part of your community!!!
--
Rajath S,
M.Sc(Hons.) Physics,

Re: GSOC 2013

Posted by Oliver-Rainer Wittmann <or...@googlemail.com>.
Him

On 18.04.2013 10:09, Rajath Shashidhara wrote:
> I was glancing the dev guide:
>
> I read that PyUNO has not been used much and might contain which have not
> been tested.
> Since I'm good at both java and python, I thought I'll use JAVA as my
> coding language for building this extension.
>
> Any thoughts about this?
>
> Also,
> XComponentLoader.loadComponentFromURL() function is used to load files from
> harddisk. Can this function open only native OpenOffice formats or other
> format files like .xls .docx can also be opened from this method?

As far as I know you can load all types of files via this function which
also can be loaded via the user interface.

Best regards, Oliver.

Re: GSOC 2013

Posted by Rajath Shashidhara <ra...@gmail.com>.
I was glancing the dev guide:

Re: GSOC 2013

Posted by Alexandro Colorado <jz...@oooes.org>.

Re: GSOC 2013

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Rajath Shashidhara <
rajaths.rajaths@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Mr. Alexandro Colorado,
>
> Ariel Constela-Haile  suggested that one who suggested the idea on GSOC
> idea page is the mentor for that project. So I'm contacting you for help.
>
> I have a problem. I thought that the mentor will be the best guy to discuss
> with.

Hi Rajath,

I'm a mentor on a different AOO proposal, but I mentored GSoC last year as
well, so maybe I can help a little here by sharing some high level thoughts.

> My end-semester exams are starting from April 25th. So I will not be able
> to spend a lot of time for the coming days.(till May 12th). As the
> mentoring organizations will announce the list of students by April 22nd, I
> wanted to know what more I can do to prove myself that I'm a capable
> candidate for GSOC 2013. I have worked on two bugs  on your page till now.

IMHO, this is very good.  We all know that it is a very busy time for
students now, with exams, etc.   So the fact that you made this much
progress is a good thing.

> I have partially solved one of them(got response from a people that I have
> done the right thing to solve the bug), although I was unable to produce a
> patch due to my tight schedule. My holidays are starting from May13th, I'll
> be able to spend a lot of time on this later. I am getting used to your
> huge code base, and during my holidays I'll be able to work on this with
> more ease as time passes.

Yes.