Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jim Maul <jm...@elih.org> on 2004/08/04 22:01:24 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] What's the difference between mod_cache and the reverse proxy ?

Quoting wolfgang127us@yahoo.co.jp:

> Hi all.
>
> As I wrote in the subject, I wanna know the difference between them.
>
> Here is my scenario.
> There're a hundreds of servers(Apache + Tomcat) in a load-balanced
> environment, and those servers access to a single database.
> Thus, they can serve static files to a bunch of clients at once,
> but once many clients send a request which needs a SQL query,it's
> gonna cause a huge performance problem.
>
> That's why I've been searching any ways that minimize the performance
> problem,
> and finally found two choices that are mod_cache or the reverse proxy
> (mod_proxy?).
>
> By using the mod_cache, I gotta install it to apache on all servers.
> On the other hand, using the reverse proxy server, I can just place a
> couple of
> them in front of the load balancer.
>
> I first thought the formar way is kinda trouble some since I gotta
> install mod_cache
> in all servers. But now it seems easy to maintainance. The latter way
> seems hard to
> maintainance.
> hm...I still don't know which way is better for performance and maintainance.
>
> can anybody give me a help, a tip or a joke ? oops...i don't need a joke...
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> wolfgang

I dont know the difference between the two, nor do I know if this is what you
are looking for, but depending on what SQL server you are running (im going to
assume mysql, but that may end up biting me in the ass) you may be able to run
multiple database servers as well to reduce the load on them.

Jim

Re: [users@httpd] What's the difference between mod_cache and the reverse proxy ?

Posted by wo...@yahoo.co.jp.
Hi Jim.
Thank you for replying.

> I dont know the difference between the two, nor do I know if this is what you
> are looking for, but depending on what SQL server you are running (im going to
> assume mysql, but that may end up biting me in the ass) you may be able to run
> multiple database servers as well to reduce the load on them.

Actually, we've got 8 databases and they are clustered.
Why I didn't talk about it is that I just wanted readers to be concentrated on answering
the difference between the mod_cache and the reverse proxy.
(I don't need solutions for databases for now.)

anyways, thank you so much, Jim.

wolfgang.