Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/28 23:25:14 UTC

[IMAP] Mailbox API Structural Outline

IMAP FETCH requires structural information about MIME messages.
unfortunately, reassembling the complete email then using MimeMessage
to obtain this information is very inefficient. adequate performance
requires quick access to this data from the backend without loading
all information from the email each time.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-808 proposed to store the
required output more or less directly and push the processing into the
backend.

AIUI MailboxAPI was intended to be generic and not coupled tightly to
a particular protocol but hopefully people who know more will jump,
explain it's history and where they see it going.

if we aren't comfortable with the introduction of tight couplings to
the IMAP protocol then MessageResult could expose a lightweight
structural outline.

opinions?

- robert

Re: [IMAP] Mailbox API Structural Outline

Posted by Norman Maurer <no...@apache.org>.
Hi Robert,

first nice to see you workin on imap again :-)

You are right the MailboxManager should be generic. I don't like the
idea of having to diffrent "Mailbox implementations" for diffrent
Protocol. IMHO it should be possible to switch from one Protocol to the
other while still be able to use the old mailbox...

But I think you allready notice that I'm not able to work on james at
the moment so I'm happy with every effort you make ;-)

bye
Norman