Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ian Shafer <ia...@1321.org> on 2006/02/17 07:50:05 UTC

Load testing with Tomcat 5.5, Apache 2.2 and mod_proxy_ajp

Hello,

I'm currently load testing a webapp running on Tomcat 5.5 that is
fronted by Apache 2.2 and uses mod_proxy_ajp to communicate between
the two.

I'm seeing some odd behavior that I cannot explain.

I have this line in my httpd.conf file:

ProxyPass /webapp/ ajp://localhost:8009/webapp/ min=256 max=256

and in tomcat I have maxThreads set to 256 for both my HTTP connector
and my AJP connector.  For some reason, though, I still get a message
in my tomcat log saying:

ERROR TP-Processor4 org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool - All
threads (256) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads (256)
or check the servlet status

Why does this happen? I thought my 'max=256' setting in httpd.conf
would only 256 connections at once.

Also, if anyone has any experience with setting up Apache and Tomcat
for very high performance, I would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Load testing with Tomcat 5.5, Apache 2.2 and mod_proxy_ajp

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
Ian Shafer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this line in my httpd.conf file:
>
> ProxyPass /webapp/ ajp://localhost:8009/webapp/ min=256 max=256
>
> and in tomcat I have maxThreads set to 256 for both my HTTP connector
> and my AJP connector.  For some reason, though, I still get a message in
> my tomcat log saying:
>
> ERROR TP-Processor4 org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool - All
> threads (256) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads (256) or
> check the servlet status
>

> Why does this happen? I thought my 'max=256' setting in httpd.conf would
> only 256 connections at once.

Depends on the mpm you are using. If it's worker mpm, then max=256 means
that it will have max 256 connection per worker, so you can end up with
256*(MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild). If it's prefork mpm, then max=256 is
not used and is always 1. The max number of connections in that case
is MaxClients.

Regards,
Mladen.