Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@ki.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2009/04/28 13:13:23 UTC

Problem with UIMA Eclipse Plugins when starting Galileo

Hi,

I have a problem with the UIMA eclipse plugins and wanted to ask if
anyone already made some experiences with this behaviour:

I downloaded the latest (RCP) Galileo milestone (M6), installed the
adequate EMF SDK (zip, 2.5.0M6) und installed the UIMA plugins with the
update site. The UIMA plugins work just fine, e.g., I am able to open an
AE descriptor with the component editor. If I start a new Eclipse with
my RCP Eclipse and some other plugins, then the UIMA plugins are indeed
listed as installed in the About/Installation Details, but can not be
loaded or used by other plugins. Here is what happens if I try to open
the same AE descriptor with the component editor:

eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.version=1.6.0_12
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.sdk.ide
Command-line arguments:  -product org.eclipse.sdk.ide -data
D:\work\workspace/../runtime-EclipseApplication -dev
file:D:/work/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/Eclipse
Application/dev.properties -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

Error
Tue Apr 28 13:05:25 CEST 2009
Unable to create editor ID taeconfigurator.editors.MultiPageEditor: The
editor class could not be instantiated. This usually indicates a missing
no-arg constructor or that the editor's class name was mistyped in
plugin.xml.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/uima/UIMAException
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.defineClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:166)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.defineClass(ClasspathManager.java:574)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:544)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClassImpl(ClasspathManager.java:475)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass_LockClassLoader(ClasspathManager.java:463)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:443)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.findLocalClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:194)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:376)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.SingleSourcePackage.loadClass(SingleSourcePackage.java:33)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:440)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:405)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:393)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:88)
    at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2389)
    at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.osgi.RegistryStrategyOSGI.createExecutableExtension(RegistryStrategyOSGI.java:170)
    at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ExtensionRegistry.createExecutableExtension(ExtensionRegistry.java:874)
    at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:243)
    at
org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElementHandle.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElementHandle.java:51)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPlugin$1.run(WorkbenchPlugin.java:267)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPlugin.createExtension(WorkbenchPlugin.java:263)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.registry.EditorDescriptor.createEditor(EditorDescriptor.java:235)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createPart(EditorManager.java:848)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:602)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:458)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:595)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartPane.setVisible(PartPane.java:313)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.PresentablePart.setVisible(PresentablePart.java:180)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.PresentablePartFolder.select(PresentablePartFolder.java:270)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.LeftToRightTabOrder.select(LeftToRightTabOrder.java:65)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.presentations.util.TabbedStackPresentation.selectPart(TabbedStackPresentation.java:473)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.refreshPresentationSelection(PartStack.java:1256)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.setSelection(PartStack.java:1209)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.showPart(PartStack.java:1608)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:499)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:103)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PartStack.add(PartStack.java:485)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorStack.add(EditorStack.java:112)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorSashContainer.addEditor(EditorSashContainer.java:63)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addToLayout(EditorAreaHelper.java:225)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorAreaHelper.addEditor(EditorAreaHelper.java:213)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.createEditorTab(EditorManager.java:781)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditorFromDescriptor(EditorManager.java:680)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorManager.openEditor(EditorManager.java:641)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2850)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2762)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$11(WorkbenchPage.java:2754)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$10.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2705)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2701)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2685)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2676)
    at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:650)
    at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:609)
    at
org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.editor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:394)
    at
org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.editor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:141)
    at
org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.actions.OpenActionUtil.open(OpenActionUtil.java:45)
    at org.eclipse.dltk.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:256)
    at org.eclipse.dltk.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:237)
    at
org.eclipse.dltk.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.dispatchRun(SelectionDispatchAction.java:259)
    at
org.eclipse.dltk.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.run(SelectionDispatchAction.java:235)
    at
org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.scriptview.ScriptExplorerActionGroup.handleOpen(ScriptExplorerActionGroup.java:297)
    at
org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.scriptview.ScriptExplorerPart$5.open(ScriptExplorerPart.java:665)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:842)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:37)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:888)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:48)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:175)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:840)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1101)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1205)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:264)
    at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:258)
    at
org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:298)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3880)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3473)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2393)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2357)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2209)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:499)
    at
org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:492)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
    at
org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
    at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
    at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
    at
org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at
    at
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:556)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:511)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1284)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1260)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.uima.UIMAException
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:443)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:405)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:393)
    at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:88)
    ... 107 more

Any hints where to search for a solution? The problem does not occur
with a Ganymede (and normal EMF SDK) installation and the same plugins

Peter

Re: Problem with UIMA Eclipse Plugins when starting Galileo

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@ki.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Hi,

sorry for the late answer.
> I am not sure what plugins are "included" in your "RCP Eclipse" and how you
> "launch" your RCP. Let me describe some options that you can try.

The included plugins consist mostly of TextMarker plugins that depend on
the UIMA runtime plugin. The launch is currently configurate to run a
product (org.eclipse.sdk.ide) using all plugins in the workspace

> Option 1. "Validate Plug-ins" before you launch your RCP
> If you launch your RCP through the Lauch Configuration Dialog, in the
> "Plug-ins" Tab, there is a "Validate Plug-ins" button that you can click to
> verify that all the dependency of the "selected" plug-ins are satisfied. If
> there are some errors, you can click the "Add Rquired Plug-ins" to correct
> the error.

I have done that; no problems were detected.

> Option 2. If your RCP has "Plug-in Dependencies" view, try to see if there
> is a "red x" on top of any UIMA plug-in that may have some missing plug-ins
> that it depends on.

No complaints in the dependencies view.
> Option 3.If your RCP has "Plug-in Registry" view, try to "diagnose" the
> problematic UIMA plug-ins as follows:
>   - "Plug-in Registry" view, Right click of any plug-in and Select "Show
> Advanced Operations"
>   - Right click on the problematic UIMA plug-in and Select "Diagnose" which
> will pop-up the result of the diagnostic operation.

Returns "no problems detected". The desceditor is not listed in the
active plugins, however, the runtime plugin is.
> Let us know which option you can use and what is the result.

One of my students solved the problem for his application by
closing/opening all project in his IDE workspace and some restarts with
new plugins, but this did not work for me. My best guess is currently
that there is a problem with the workspace itself. I get back to you
when I got more news.

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peter,

> If I start a new Eclipse with my RCP Eclipse and some other plugins, then
> the UIMA plugins are indeed listed as installed in the About/Installation
> Details, but can not be loaded or used by other plugins.

I am not sure what plugins are "included" in your "RCP Eclipse" and how you
"launch" your RCP. Let me describe some options that you can try.

Option 1. "Validate Plug-ins" before you launch your RCP
If you launch your RCP through the Lauch Configuration Dialog, in the
"Plug-ins" Tab, there is a "Validate Plug-ins" button that you can click to
verify that all the dependency of the "selected" plug-ins are satisfied. If
there are some errors, you can click the "Add Rquired Plug-ins" to correct
the error.

Option 2. If your RCP has "Plug-in Dependencies" view, try to see if there
is a "red x" on top of any UIMA plug-in that may have some missing plug-ins
that it depends on.

Option 3.If your RCP has "Plug-in Registry" view, try to "diagnose" the
problematic UIMA plug-ins as follows:
  - "Plug-in Registry" view, Right click of any plug-in and Select "Show
Advanced Operations"
  - Right click on the problematic UIMA plug-in and Select "Diagnose" which
will pop-up the result of the diagnostic operation.

Let us know which option you can use and what is the result.

-- Tong

Re: Problem with UIMA Eclipse Plugins when starting Galileo

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Peter Klügl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with the UIMA eclipse plugins and wanted to ask if
> anyone already made some experiences with this behaviour:
>
> I downloaded the latest (RCP) Galileo milestone (M6), installed the
> adequate EMF SDK (zip, 2.5.0M6) und installed the UIMA plugins with the
> update site. The UIMA plugins work just fine, e.g., I am able to open an
> AE descriptor with the component editor. If I start a new Eclipse with
> my RCP Eclipse and some other plugins, then the UIMA plugins are indeed
> listed as installed in the About/Installation Details, but can not be
> loaded or used by other plugins. Here is what happens if I try to open
> the same AE descriptor with the component editor:
>
> eclipse.buildId=unknown
> java.version=1.6.0_12
> java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
> BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=de_DE
> Framework arguments:  -product org.eclipse.sdk.ide
> Command-line arguments:  -product org.eclipse.sdk.ide -data
> D:\work\workspace/../runtime-EclipseApplication -dev
> file:D:/work/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/Eclipse
> Application/dev.properties -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86
>

> Error
> Tue Apr 28 13:05:25 CEST 2009
> Unable to create editor ID taeconfigurator.editors.MultiPageEditor: The
> editor class could not be instantiated. This usually indicates a missing
> no-arg constructor or that the editor's class name was mistyped in

I've seen this in the past, and as far as I remember, it was caused by
the fact that the UIMA runtime plugin was not available for some reason.
Can you make it's really there (org.apache.uima.runtime)?