Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Christopher L. Everett" <ce...@ceverett.com> on 2003/10/09 21:39:30 UTC

OT: high availability/load balancing solutions

My site doesn't require high performance as in thousands or even hundreds
of requests per second, but we do need the reliability in order to stay
in the game.  And I don't have a five figure budget to play with.  But
my needs are simple: just keep the site (both HTTP and SSL) up and running
as long as we have connectivity.

Similar material gets covered in the mod_perl guide, so I'm not wandering
too far afield. I think.

I have 2 options I've come up with:

1) Build a couple of Linux router/firewall boxes using Linux HA tools
   like heartbeat and fake (IP address takeover) along with IPtables.
   Spend many days making it all work together (well that's what it
   looks like from not having done it + previous experience from
   learning new software).

2) Buy a couple of used first generation Radware web server directors
   on the cheap.  With any luck, they arrive in working order and do
   what I want with trivial amounts of effort (again that's a fairly
   ignorant evaluation).  Interestingly enough, no information on the
   models I can afford shows up on Radware's site.

Who's done this sort of thing, that can clue me in to what I probably
don't know about this topic.

Re: OT: high availability/load balancing solutions

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
There is a special list for this topic, see:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/offsite/other.html#Performance_and_Scalability