Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Eitan Ben Noach <Ei...@proficiency.com> on 2001/06/29 23:02:59 UTC

Using the element on web.xml to define short name for a servlet in a package

Hello,

I'm running standalone tomcat.

I'm trying to use  the <servlet> element on web.xml to define short name for
a servlet in a package, but it doesn't work.

I put a package called FTPExplorer.jar under /admin/web-inf/lib containing
the servlet named
com.company.ftpexplorer.FTPExplorerServlet.class

When calling the servlet with following URL:
http://localhost:8080/admin/servlet/com.company.ftpexplorer.FTPExplorerServl
et
the servlet works ok.

I've defined the following <servlet> element on the main tomcat web.xml

	<servlet>
		<servlet-name>
            controller
        </servlet-name>
		<servlet-class>
            com.company.ftpexplorer.FTPExplorerServlet
        </servlet-class>
	</servlet>

When trying to call the servlet with either URLs:
http://localhost:8080/controller
http://localhost:8080/admin/servlet/controller

Tomcat can't find the servlet ( 404 )

What is wrong ?

Thanks,
Eitan Ben-Noach
Proficiency, Ltd.

Tel: +972.2.548.0287
Fax: +972.2.586.3871
email: eitanb@proficiency.com

The Intelligence in Engineering Supply Chain Collaboration
<http://www.proficiency.com/>