Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/18 17:13:16 UTC

[ALL][COMPRESS] security reports page naming

Commons Compress has a Security Reports page:

http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/security.html

which contains details of known security issues.

The page links to the general commons security page
http://commons.apache.org/security.html
for details of how to report security issues.

I think it is a good idea to have both pages, but I wonder whether it
might be less confusing if the pages had slightly different names?

Especially since CP 37 site.xml has a bug which means that the
Security link under General Information is resolved as being relative
to the component. [This is a "feature" of Maven site when used with
parent POMs].

If a component wants to provide a security report page, I suggest it
should be called "security-report.html" or similar.

Compress seems to be the only one with such a page so far, so it would
not involve much work.

Re: [ALL][COMPRESS] security reports page naming

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 8:13 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Commons Compress has a Security Reports page:
>
> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/security.html
>
> which contains details of known security issues.
>
> The page links to the general commons security page
> http://commons.apache.org/security.html
> for details of how to report security issues.
>
> I think it is a good idea to have both pages, but I wonder whether it
> might be less confusing if the pages had slightly different names?
>
> Especially since CP 37 site.xml has a bug which means that the
> Security link under General Information is resolved as being relative
> to the component. [This is a "feature" of Maven site when used with
> parent POMs].
>
> If a component wants to provide a security report page, I suggest it
> should be called "security-report.html" or similar.
>
> Compress seems to be the only one with such a page so far, so it would
> not involve much work.

Sounds reasonable.

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [ALL][COMPRESS] security reports page naming

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2015-06-18, sebb wrote:

> Commons Compress has a Security Reports page:

> http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-compress/security.html

> which contains details of known security issues.

> The page links to the general commons security page
> http://commons.apache.org/security.html
> for details of how to report security issues.

> I think it is a good idea to have both pages, but I wonder whether it
> might be less confusing if the pages had slightly different names?

Fine with me.

Stefan