Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/18 14:12:03 UTC

What is the future of Reshuffle?

I saw in a recent thread that the use of the Reshuffle transform was
recommended to solve an user issue:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/87ef575ac67948868648e0a8110be242f811bfff8fdaa7f9b758b933@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E

I can see why it may fix the reported issue. I am just curious about
the fact that the Reshuffle transform is marked as both @Internal and
@Deprecated in Beam's SDK.

Do we have some alternative? So far the class documentation does not
recommend any replacement.

Re: What is the future of Reshuffle?

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.
On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 12:22 PM Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>
wrote:

> [resending]

Agreed that keeping this deprecated without a clear replacement for so long
> is not ideal.
>
> I would at least break this into two separate transforms, the
> parallelism-breaking one (which seems OK) and the stable input one (which
> may just call the parallelism-breaking one, but should be decorated with
> lots of caveats and maybe even still have the deprecated annotation).

+1. Parallelism-breaking one is the most relevant to many users. Would love
to see that part deprecated, ideally keeping the name Reshuffle.

Raghu.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
[resending]

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM Raghu Angadi
&lt;rangadi@google.com&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Thanks
Kenn.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:02 AM Kenneth Knowles
&lt;klk@google.com&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; The fact that
its usage has grown probably indicates that we have a large number of
transforms that can easily cause data loss /
duplication.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Is this specific to Reshuffle or it is
true for any GroupByKey? I see Reshuffle as just a wrapper around
GBK.<br><br>The issue is when it&#39;s used in such a way that data
corruption can occur when the underlying GBK output is not stable.

Re: What is the future of Reshuffle?

Posted by Reuven Lax <re...@google.com>.
On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 10:55 PM Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 6:27 PM Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 8:11 AM Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, if people use GBK in that way, it's also just as broken. The
>>> thought is that fewer people would use it with that intent, as GBK is not a
>>> no-op (it transforms the shape of the data, and also does not preserve
>>> windowing). This is in contrast to Reshuffle which was encouraged for this
>>> usecase.
>>>

>> I see. I am not aware of any recommendation for users (excluding advanced
>> users) to use this for stable input/durability gaurantees. Every single
>> case where I recommended Reshuffle was related to parallelism (there were
>> many such cases). Most of use of Reshuflle/GBK for stable input were done
>> consciously by the authors, fully aware of the caveats (SDF in Dataflow,
>> Kafka EOS sink use of GBK, etc).
>>
>> As a result, deprecation is only hurting the innocent users who are using
>> Reshuffle correctly.
>>
>> I think it would be much more user friendly to un-deprecate it to add a
>> warning for advanced users about non-portability of durability/replay
>> guarantees/stable input assumptions.
>>

> Yes, I think everyone in this thread is in agreement here. We should
> provide a *different* transform that provides the durability guarantees
> (with caveats). In the meantime, this delegating to a reshuffle would be
> better than using a reshuffle directly.

The different thing has already been discussed on the dev thread - it's the
RequresStableInput property on a DoFn's process method. The annotation has
even been added already (for Java), it just has never been hooked up.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.
Filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-4372 (unassigned).

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.

Posted by Ben Chambers <bc...@apache.org>.
+1 to introducing alternative transforms even if they wrap Reshuffle

The benefits of making them distinct is that we can put appropriate Javadoc
in place and runners can figure out what the user is intending and whether
Reshuffle or some other implementation is appropriate. We can also see
which of these use cases is most common by inspecting the transform usage.
And, when better options are available, we can just introduce the
appropriate transform, to get the appropriate special behavior.

I think there were three cases of use that I can remember:

1. Splitting up retry domains (eg., if one transform is expensive,
preventing failures in nearby transforms from causing it to be retried)
2. Redistributing elements to improve parallelism
3. Checkpointing/snapshotting a pcollection before side-effecting the
outside world (eg., RequiresStableInput)

-- Ben

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 4:24 PM Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 4:07 PM Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com> wrote:
>
>> It isn't any particular logic in Reshuffle - it is, semantically, an
>> identity transform. It is the fact that other runners are perfectly able to
>> re-run transform prior to a GBK. So, for example, randomly generated IDs
>> will be re-generated.
>>

> Ah, thanks, that makes sense. That implies to me Reshuffle is no more
> broken than GBK itself. May be Reshuffle.viaRandomKey() could have a clear
> caveat. Reshuffle's JavaDoc could add a caveat too about non-deterministic
> keys and retries (though it applies to GroupByKey in general).

The "randomness" of Reshuffle.viaRandomKey() is fine, as the randomly
generated key is never exposed to the users (so it doesn't matter if it
changes). Reshuffle is broken if you are using it to get stable input on a

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.
It isn't any particular logic in Reshuffle - it is, semantically, an
identity transform. It is the fact that other runners are perfectly able to
re-run transform prior to a GBK. So, for example, randomly generated IDs
will be re-generated. We tend to put in reshuffles in order to "commit"

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.
Thanks Kenn.

Posted by Robert Bradshaw <ro...@google.com>.
Agreed that keeping this deprecated without a clear replacement for so
long is not ideal. <br><br>I would at least break this into two
separate transforms, the parallelism-breaking one (which seems OK) and
the stable input one (which may just call the parallelism-breaking
one, but should be decorated with lots of caveats and maybe even still
have the deprecated annotation). <br>On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 11:02 AM
Kenneth Knowles &lt;klk@google.com&gt; wrote:<br>&gt;<br>&gt; The fact
that its usage has grown probably indicates that we have a large
number of transforms that can easily cause data loss /
duplication.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; Yes, it is deprecated because it is
primarily used as a Dataflow-specific way to ensure stable input. My
understanding is that the SparkRunner also materializes at every GBK
so it works there too (is this still the case?). It doesn&#39;t work
at all for other runners AFAIK. So it is @Deprecated not because there
is a replacement, but because it is kind of dangerous to use. Beam
could just say &quot;GBK must ensure stable output&quot; and &quot;a
composite containing a GBK has to ensure stable output even if
replaced&quot; and that would solve the issue, but I think it would
make Beam on Flink impossibly slow - I could be wrong about that.
Generally stable input is tied to durability model which is a key
design point for engines.<br>&gt;<br>&gt; True that it isn&#39;t the
only use, and I know you have been trying to nail down what the uses
actually are. Ben wrote up various uses in a portable manner at
https://beam.apache.org/documentation/execution-model.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;
&nbsp;- Coupled failure is the use where Reshuffle is to provide
stable input<br>&gt; &nbsp;- Breaking dependent parallelism is more
portable - but since it is the identity transform a runner may just
elide it; it is a hint, basically, and that seem OK (but can we do it
more directly?)<br>&gt;<br>&gt; What I don&#39;t want is to build
something where the implementation details are the spec, and not
fundamental, which is sort of where Reshuffle lies. This thread
highlights that this is a pretty urgent problem with our SDKs and
runners that it would be very helpful to work on.<br>&gt;<br>&gt;
Eugene Kirpichov &lt;kirpichov@google.com&gt;
wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; Agreed that it should be undeprecated,
many users are getting confused by this.<br>&gt;&gt; I know that some
people are working on a replacement for at least one of its use cases
(RequiresStableInput), but the use case of breaking fusion is, as of
yet, unaddressed, and there&#39;s not much to be gained by keeping it
deprecated.<br>&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt; On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 7:45 AM
Raghu Angadi &lt;rangadi@google.com&gt;
wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; I am interested in more clarity
on this as well. It has been deprecated for a long time without a
replacement, and its usage has only grown, both within Beam code base
as well as in user applications.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; If we
for replacement? <br>&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt; On Fri, May 18, 2018
at 7:12 AM Ismaël Mejía &lt;iemejia@gmail.com&gt;
wrote:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; I saw in a recent
thread that the use of the Reshuffle transform was<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
recommended to solve an user
issue:<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/87ef575ac67948868648e0a8110be242f811bfff8fdaa7f9b758b933@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;
I can see why it may fix the reported issue. I am just curious
about<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; the fact that the Reshuffle transform is
marked as both @Internal and<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; @Deprecated in
Beam&#39;s SDK.<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Do we have
some alternative? So far the class documentation does
not<br>&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; recommend any replacement.

Re: What is the future of Reshuffle?

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.

Posted by Eugene Kirpichov <ki...@google.com>.

Posted by Raghu Angadi <ra...@google.com>.