Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/10 08:16:58 UTC

Seriously thinking about curring a release next week.

Hi guys,

we already discussed this topic two weeks ago, but now, I think we
should really move on.

Yesterday, I did a bug parade and started to fix issues. We have now 197
of 301 issues fixed, which is a HUGE number of fixed issues. Add to that
the fact we released LDAP-API 1.0.0-M4 last week, and that we have some
serious features to add in the near future (administrative model, server
OSGification, Replication), I'm keen to get the M1 milestone out asap.

Note that I'm not pushing this release because we need it, but just
because we need a stabilized base to work on. It worked wonderfully on
the LDAP-API code base, with 4 releaes those past 5 months, and this is
really a good feeling to see the progression every month when you do
small steps instead of waiting for a giant leap.

I'll try to get as much issues fixed as possible in the next 3 days, and
may be we can start considering a release at the beginning of next week?

thoughts ?

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Seriously thinking about curring a release next week.

Posted by Felix Knecht <fe...@apache.org>.
On 06/10/2011 08:16 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> we already discussed this topic two weeks ago, but now, I think we should really move on.
>
> Yesterday, I did a bug parade and started to fix issues. We have now 197 of 301 issues fixed, which is a HUGE number
> of fixed issues. Add to that the fact we released LDAP-API 1.0.0-M4 last week, and that we have some serious features
> to add in the near future (administrative model, server OSGification, Replication), I'm keen to get the M1 milestone
> out asap.
>
> Note that I'm not pushing this release because we need it, but just because we need a stabilized base to work on. It
> worked wonderfully on the LDAP-API code base, with 4 releaes those past 5 months, and this is really a good feeling to
> see the progression every month when you do small steps instead of waiting for a giant leap.
>
> I'll try to get as much issues fixed as possible in the next 3 days, and may be we can start considering a release at
> the beginning of next week?
>
> thoughts ?

+1 Release early, release often

Thanks and regards
Felix

Re: Seriously thinking about curring a release next week.

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
On 10 juin 2011, at 10:37, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> we already discussed this topic two weeks ago, but now, I think we should
>> really move on.
>>
>> Yesterday, I did a bug parade and started to fix issues. We have now 197 of
> cool
>> 301 issues fixed, which is a HUGE number of fixed issues. Add to that the
>> fact we released LDAP-API 1.0.0-M4 last week, and that we have some serious
>> features to add in the near future (administrative model, server
>> OSGification, Replication), I'm keen to get the M1 milestone out asap.
>>
>> Note that I'm not pushing this release because we need it, but just because
>> we need a stabilized base to work on. It worked wonderfully on the LDAP-API
>> code base, with 4 releaes those past 5 months, and this is really a good
>> feeling to see the progression every month when you do small steps instead
>> of waiting for a giant leap.
>>
> indeed, these iterations worked well and it makes a lot of sense to continue it
>> I'll try to get as much issues fixed as possible in the next 3 days, and may
>> be we can start considering a release at the beginning of next week?
>>
>> thoughts ?
>
> +1, thanks Emmanuel

This sounds also good to me.
This pattern worked great on the API and, from my POV, it's important that developers/users can download (if they are interested in) intermediate "unstable" releases before the "official" 2.0 version is released.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud

Re: Seriously thinking about curring a release next week.

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> we already discussed this topic two weeks ago, but now, I think we should
> really move on.
>
> Yesterday, I did a bug parade and started to fix issues. We have now 197 of
cool
> 301 issues fixed, which is a HUGE number of fixed issues. Add to that the
> fact we released LDAP-API 1.0.0-M4 last week, and that we have some serious
> features to add in the near future (administrative model, server
> OSGification, Replication), I'm keen to get the M1 milestone out asap.
>
> Note that I'm not pushing this release because we need it, but just because
> we need a stabilized base to work on. It worked wonderfully on the LDAP-API
> code base, with 4 releaes those past 5 months, and this is really a good
> feeling to see the progression every month when you do small steps instead
> of waiting for a giant leap.

indeed, these iterations worked well and it makes a lot of sense to continue it
> I'll try to get as much issues fixed as possible in the next 3 days, and may
> be we can start considering a release at the beginning of next week?
>
> thoughts ?

+1, thanks Emmanuel

--
Kiran Ayyagari