Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2005/07/05 04:05:29 UTC

New Startup Output

	I just put in a change with nicer startup console output.  It
gives some progress and status information during the server start process
and lists the apps deployed and ports used at the end of the startup.
Since it uses \r characters to make it work, the output looks lousy if you
view it in a log file, so there's a -noprogress argument you can add to
the server command line to suppress it (which the Maven deploy tool does,
for example).

	In any case, I'd appreciate any thoughts or feedback on the new
look.

 * Jeremy's already suggested adding a middle ground between -noprogress
   and what's in there, where it would print more or less the same
   information but one message per line so it looks nicer in a log.
   There's just an interface to implement to get the startup sequence
   calls, so it should be easy enough to support that.

 * David J recommended the current combination of a short progress bar and
   status messages instead of my initial attempt, which just had a long
   (but not very fine-grained) progress bar.  I like the way it came out.

	Now that I've done this, I think we can use the same technique to
hide the password on the deployer command line.

Thanks,
	Aaron

Log message
-----------
New server startup output
 - shows a progress bar, timer, and operation status during start
 - shows a list of started application modules (other than o/a/g/System*)
 - shows a list of network ports that GBeans tried to bind to
The port list is voluntary on behalf of the GBeans.  They must declare an
  attribute of type java.net.InetSocketAddress in order to be included
  in the list (though it can be a read-only attribute).  We should review
  the current GBeans and make sure they do.
There is also some logic around calculating the name of a service.  For
  example, if the same GBean has more than one InetSocketAddress attribute,
  it tries to add the name of each attribute in the port list, and if the
  GBean has a "name" attribute (for GBeans tht may be deployed more than
  once with different names) it includes that too.
The new progress bar does not render particularly well in log files, and
  can be disabled by passing -noprogress on the server command line.  The
  maven deployment plugin does that.

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, David Blevins wrote:
> >   1.  Add the Geronimo version at the top too.  As in:
> >          "Starting Geronimo Application Server (1.0-234656)"
>
> 	How do you suggest getting the version number into the message?
> I don't know of a way to make SVN put an always-up-to-date version tag in
> a file (only one that's only updated when the file is changed).

	Upon reflection, while it's kind of dirty, I think we can snarf
the current version from the .svn/entries file (locate the <entry
name="" ...> and steal the value of its "revision" attribute).

	What I don't know is how to get that some place relevant.  The
system module might have been built a while ago (certainly for developer
builds as opposed to formal releases, and I don't want it to be incorrect
for dev builds), so I think we'd want to get the revision during the
assembly build.  I suppose we could shove it in a JAR and then put that
JAR on the server CLASSPATH, but that's pretty lame.

	Hmm...  Maybe we can add something so every Geronimo module puts
its SVN revision into its Manifest file.  Then we can inspect the
Manifests at runtime.  That sounds more promising.  I guess we could have
a Maven plugin for that?  I know that Maven puts stuff into the Manifest,
and if we can hook into that, we'd be fine.  I have no idea how achievable
that is.

Aaron

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:01:11AM -0400, Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, David Blevins wrote:
> > Oh, man! That is soo cool!!!
> >
> > For those too lazy to run it, here is what the output looks like in the end:
>
> 	Oh come on, the plain text doesn't do it justice!  :)

You go that right :) The count down in seconds and running percentage
of completion is extremely cool!

> > Two suggestions:
> >
> >   1.  Add the Geronimo version at the top too.  As in:
> >          "Starting Geronimo Application Server (1.0-234656)"
> >
> >   2.  Print "Ready!" or something after the ports.
>
> 	How do you suggest getting the version number into the message?
> I don't know of a way to make SVN put an always-up-to-date version tag in
> a file (only one that's only updated when the file is changed).

We can use the ${pom.currentVersion} version number that maven offers
us.  We just need to preprocess some attribute in a plan somewhere to
hold that value.

-David

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
Oh, man! That is soo cool!!!

For those too lazy to run it, here is what the output looks like in the end:

<output>
Booting Geronimo Kernel (in Java 1.4.2_07)...
Starting Geronimo Application Server
[*********] 100%  68s Startup complete
  Started Application Modules:
    WAR: org/apache/geronimo/DebugConsole
  Listening on Ports:
    1099 0.0.0.0   RMI Naming
    1527 127.0.0.1 Derby Connector
    4201 127.0.0.1 OpenEJB Connector EJB
    8009 0.0.0.0   Tomcat Connector AJP
    8080 0.0.0.0   Jetty Connector HTTP
    8090 0.0.0.0   Tomcat Connector HTTP
    8443 0.0.0.0   Jetty Connector HTTPS
</output>

Two suggestions:

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 7/4/05, Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> wrote:
>         OK, it's at:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~ammulder/new-startup-example.zip
>
>         Unzip it, go to the geronimo-1.0-SNAPSHOT directory it creates,
> and run "java -jar bin/server.jar".  You have to run it from that dir
> because it starts Tomcat and I didn't have Jeff's latest fix in my tree.
> There are no changes for deployment, so having an app won't help (though
> the debug tool WAR is deployed by default).
>
>         If you want to suppress the progress output, add "-noprogress" to
> the command line.

Damn that's nice, Aaron! This is *exactly* what I had in mind during
the installer/configurator threads. Perl can achieve this very easily
and I wanted to figure out a decent way to do the same in Java using a
PrintStream or a PrintWriter.

I agree that offering the Geronimo version number is a great idea, as
is some kind of Ready! message. (IIRC, Websphere prints out a message
stating 'Open for e-business' when it is started. Now that's just
hokey, but something indicating readiness is a good idea).

I'm also wondering about a shutdown sequence as well. Have you considered that?

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/

Apache Geronimo
http://geronimo.apache.org/

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
	OK, it's at:

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Jeff Genender wrote:
> I love this new status bar...its really clean...but I would like the
> option to spew the logs to the terminal.
>
> I would like to get people's feelings on this since there are 2 sides
> having this option.

I like the idea of a -verbose parameter.  But the best way I can think of
to implement it is to have the startup class fiddle the log settings (by
choosing to start "log configuration a" or "log configuration b", or by
directly prodding the log GBean, or whatever).

If I can restate a couple IRC points:

 * David J seemed to be concerned about that approach (tighter coupling
   between start class and logging, though the startup class needs to
   initialize the logging system, so there's some coupling already).

 * Jeremy suggested making the progress bar writer a separate process,
   that launches the server, reads its standard output, parses that for
   the information in needs to generate the progress bar, and then either
   prints or suppresses the server process output as desired.  I thought
   about that, and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, but it
   seems pretty complex.

I'm going to think about whether there's some way to manage the log
settings in a way that won't increase the coupling.  Perhaps the log GBean
can "check in" during startup and see if there's a global override which
it could then enforce on itself.  It would certainly be nice if the
pre-load-log-GBean log level and the post-load-log-GBean log level were
the same (instead of one depending on code and the other on a config file,
as it is now).  But I'd also like to hear any other opinions.

Aaron

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

> On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> You can get the server version from the ServerInfo class.
>>

>     Does that return "208435" or "1.0-SNAPSHOT"?  I'm assuming the
> latter, which isn't as helpful.  The specific SVN version would
> really be
> the most useful, wouldn't it?  Still, I can start with what we've
> got and
> we can always tune it later.

ServerInfo has the following attributes all generated during assembly
the assembly module:
     public String getBaseDirectory();
     public String getVersion();
     public String getBuildDate();
     public String getBuildTime();
     public String getCopyright();

The attribute values are generated into a properties file which is
read in by the ServerConstants code.  BTW, this is based on the
OpenEJB technique for loading build constants.

-dain

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> You can get the server version from the ServerInfo class.

	Does that return "208435" or "1.0-SNAPSHOT"?  I'm assuming the
latter, which isn't as helpful.  The specific SVN version would really be
the most useful, wouldn't it?  Still, I can start with what we've got and
we can always tune it later.

> Also we already control initializing the default log level in the main
> class.  I believe we can implement -v -vv -vvv options by setting the
> initial default log level to error, info or debug.

	We can certainly set the initial log level, but I think the log
GBean overwrites that (based on the content of the properties file) as
soon as it is loaded.

> If that doesn't work, I believe that system properties are available to
> log4j properties files, so we could have a geronimo.log.level.default
> which we make available to be consumed by which ever log implementation
> we choose.

	I'll give that a shot.

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Aaron,

You can get the server version from the ServerInfo class.  Also we
already control initializing the default log level in the main
class.  I believe we can  implement -v -vv -vvv options by setting
the initial default log level to error, info or debug.  If that

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@savoirtech.com>.

Re: New Startup Output

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.