Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Barth (John) Jones" <mu...@alltel.net> on 2004/06/20 01:15:16 UTC

[users@httpd] .htaccess files

Here are the instructions at the Apache web site for allowing multiple users
to access .htaccess protected pages:
------------------------
If you want to let more than one person in, you'll need to create a group
file that associates group names with a list of users in that group. The
format of this file is pretty simple, and you can create it with your
favorite editor. The contents of the file will look like this:

        GroupName: rbowen dpitts sungo rshersey

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess files

Posted by BAO RuiXian <ru...@pp.inet.fi>.

Barth (John) Jones wrote:

>[snip]
>AuthType Basic
>AuthName "By Invitation Only"
>AuthUserFile c:/apache2triad/passwd/passwords
>AuthGroupFile c:/apache2triad/passwd/groups
>require group GroupName
>
>And here's my list of users, saved as a text file (saved as, GroupName):

Should you save the group file as 'groups' like you indicated in the
directive AuthGroupFile?

Best

Bao

Posted by "Barth (John) Jones" <mu...@alltel.net>.
I have followed the instructions at the Apache website for using passwords
with .htaccess files which works perfectly for a single user.  But when I
append the password file to permit multiple users every password is
rejected.  I get the password prompt which indicates "by invitation only",
but the file does not accept any of the passwords, including the original
single user.

Here's my .htaccess file:

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.