Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de> on 2002/08/20 00:44:30 UTC

named entities

Some minutes ago I got a mail from Cliff, sending me an error message
he got while transforming http-site. What happened? I used a named
entity accidentially for a special character in my name. Since the DTD
does not contain entities we have to use character references instead.
Well, I fixed it, no problem.

But I would suggest to add the named entity definition from w3c to
common.dtd:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/HTMLlat1.ent
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/HTMLsymbol.ent
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/HTMLspecial.ent

Especially for future translations and patches from people, which are
not firm with xml and charater entities, but with html. They may use
entities automatically like I did. Imho we'll save a lot of emending
effort.

Kess

Re: named entities

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

>>I would also suggest to use the xmlcatalog type of Ant to avoid
>>a core type and therefore should be usable on all systems.

My only concern here is that we want to continue being able to use
MSIE/Mozilla to transform the docs.  If we do this, aren't we going to
be requiring the use of Ant?

Joshua.

Re: named entities

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de> wrote:

> I would appreciate this for the docs-project too; especially for
> translations this should be very helpful.

Of cource for translations. This is why I wrote "Especially for future
translations..." It may be usefull for httpd-site too, but my suggestion
is for the docs project. I've only given an example from httpd-site for
better understanding.

> I would also suggest to use the xmlcatalog type of Ant to avoid
> a core type and therefore should be usable on all systems.

This sounds good.

> more info:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTypes/xmlcatalog.html
>
> If there is any help needed, please let me know.

If you know how to do, so would you prepare a patch that we can test
before commit?

Kess

Re: named entities

Posted by Erik Abele <er...@codefaktor.de>.

> But I would suggest to add the named entity definition from w3c to
> common.dtd:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/HTMLlat1.ent
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/HTMLsymbol.ent
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/HTMLspecial.ent
>
> Especially for future translations and patches from people, which are
> not firm with xml and charater entities, but with html. They may use
> entities automatically like I did. Imho we'll save a lot of emending
> effort.

I would appreciate this for the docs-project too; especially for
translations this should be very helpful.

I would also suggest to use the xmlcatalog type of Ant to avoid loading the
entity definitions on every validation/transform. This is a core type and
therefore should be usable on all systems.

more info: http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTypes/xmlcatalog.html

If there is any help needed, please let me know.

Erik