Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by John Zedlewski <ze...@Princeton.EDU> on 2000/01/11 16:13:36 UTC

Fast malloc for SMP machines?

Stop me if you've heard this a million times, but has anybody ever
tried linking Apache with Hoard on a large SMP/ccNUMA machine?  It
supposedly can dramatically increase the malloc speed of
multi-threaded apps that simply link to it.  It's LGPL and uses C++
(although it works with C), so it wouldn't be standard distribution
material, but I would be really interested to see if it helps the new
multi-threaded Apache builds.  Unfortunately I don't (yet) have an SMP
box on which to test it.  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/emery/hoard/
--JRZ

Re: Fast malloc for SMP machines?

Posted by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org>.
apache doesn't use malloc per se.  after an initial warmup period it
doesn't really need to touch malloc.  all allocations come from pools
which have no locking.  the benefit of hoard would probably be minimal...

Dean