Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by sa...@wipro.com on 2009/01/01 11:59:15 UTC

Need help on Shindig data integration development

Hi,

I was following the links
http://chrisschalk.com/shindig_docs/shindig_sql_tutorial/shindig_data_tu
torials.html and
http://chrisschalk.com/shindig_docs/io/shindig-io.html#lab3 for Shindig
data integration. But the package structure has changed from the time of
these two articles.

Is there any document or resources available with the latest and
greatest?

Thanks,

Samik

www.wipro.com

Re: Initialization exception

Posted by Eric Tschetter <ec...@gmail.com>.
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM
> org.apache.shindig.common.cache.ehcache.EhCacheCacheProvider createCache
> INFO: Creating cache named httpResponses
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM
> org.apache.shindig.common.cache.ehcache.EhCacheCacheProvider createCache
> INFO: Creating cache named gadgetSpecs
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM
> org.apache.shindig.common.cache.ehcache.EhCacheCacheProvider createCache
> INFO: Creating cache named messageBundles
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM org.apache.shindig.common.JsonContainerConfig
> loadContainers
> INFO: Loading resources from: containers/default/container.js
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM org.apache.shindig.common.JsonContainerConfig
> loadResources
> Reading container config: containers/default/container.js
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: com.google.inject.ProvisionException:
> Error
> while locating instance bound to
> org.apache.shindig.gadgets.render.Renderer
> for member at
> org.apache.shindig.gadgets.servlet.GadgetRenderingServlet.setRenderer(Ga
> dget
> RenderingServlet.java:42)

You haven't actually included enough to figure out what went wrong.  A
"ProvisionException" from Guice means that Guice was unable to get a
valid instance for an object.  I've seen this most often with
RuntimeExceptions thrown out of constructors (there should be a
stacktrace following the line that you pasted) but I believe I've also
run into it before with a provider returning null.

What the line there says is basically "I was looking to instantiate an
object of type Renderer to pass in to setRenderer on a
GadgetRenderingServlet, but there was an error finding the Renderer".

--Eric Tschetter

RE: Initialization exception

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com>.
>If it's not the container configuration, then there should be
additional
>information in the stack trace indicating what class failed to
construct.

Well, there wasn't. I thought that GUICE was supposed to give great
error messages >(

Anyway, Shindig is relying on some of the Apache Commons JARs. I'm not
sure where I got my WAR file, but it was missing these.

FYI

Jordan Zimmerman
Principal Software Architect
831.647.4712
831.214.2990 (cell)
jordanz@shop.com

SHOP*COMTM
All your favorite stores.
OneCart(r) convenience.
www.shop.com

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain information that is non-public, proprietary,
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product.
that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and
(i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this
message
immediately if this is an electronic communication.

Thank you.

Re: Initialization exception

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 11:54 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com> wrote:

> >Is there any more to the stack trace? This looks like a configuration
> >problem, but the base exception seems to have been cut off so it's hard
> >know what's missing.
>
> The rest of the exception goes into our application server. The
> exception occurs during WAR initialization.

If there's nothing else, your best bet is to walk the construction path from
the servlet. The fact that the line right before the exception is reading
the container configuration tells me that there's probably a problem
locating the container configuration file.

Check to make sure that the container configuration location is being set to
a valid location. By default, we look for a resource in
containers/default/container.js. You can override this in shindig.properties
or by manually creating ContainerConfig.

If it's not the container configuration, then there should be additional
information in the stack trace indicating what class failed to construct. If
not the container config, the most likely problem would be missing
properties. Compare your properties file to the default and see if you're
missing anything.

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com>.

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com> wrote:

> Shindig is initializing fine on my local dev box but when we deploy to
> our test server we're getting an exception. I assume it's a missing JAR
> of some kind but the Guice message is cryptic. Can anyone give me a
> pointer on how to debug this?
>
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM
> org.apache.shindig.common.cache.ehcache.EhCacheCacheProvider createCache
> INFO: Creating cache named httpResponses
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM
> org.apache.shindig.common.cache.ehcache.EhCacheCacheProvider createCache
> INFO: Creating cache named gadgetSpecs
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM
> org.apache.shindig.common.cache.ehcache.EhCacheCacheProvider createCache
> INFO: Creating cache named messageBundles
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM org.apache.shindig.common.JsonContainerConfig
> loadContainers
> INFO: Loading resources from: containers/default/container.js
> Jan 2, 2009 6:52:30 AM org.apache.shindig.common.JsonContainerConfig
> loadResources
> Reading container config: containers/default/container.js
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: com.google.inject.ProvisionException:
> Error
> while locating instance bound to
> org.apache.shindig.gadgets.render.Renderer
> for member at
> org.apache.shindig.gadgets.servlet.GadgetRenderingServlet.setRenderer(Ga
> dget
> RenderingServlet.java:42)

Is there any more to the stack trace? This looks like a configuration
problem, but the base exception seems to have been cut off so it's hard to
know what's missing.

Initialization exception

Posted by Jordan Zimmerman <jo...@shop.com>.
[...]

RE: Need help on Shindig data integration development

Posted by sa...@wipro.com.
Thanks Kevin for the link I followed it and it worked for me.

Thanks,
Samik

> data integration. But the package structure has changed from the time
of
> these two articles.
>

> Is there any document or resources available with the latest and
> greatest?

http://cwiki.apache.org/SHINDIG/the-rough-guide-to-deploying-shindig.htm

It's not as fleshed out as it could be, but it's pretty good.

> Thanks,
>
> Samik

attachments to
> this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s)
and may

www.wipro.com

Re: Need help on Shindig data integration development

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.

http://cwiki.apache.org/SHINDIG/the-rough-guide-to-deploying-shindig.html