Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Dongjin Lee <do...@apache.org> on 2017/01/18 08:31:17 UTC

[Suggestion] Issues on StreamConfig Builder

Hello. This mail is related to KAFKA-4436[^1], which Matthias left a
comment recently. I started to investigate this issue from last weekend,
and I thought that it would be much better to take your advice.

What I would like to talk about this issue is following two things:

1. This issue is much larger than expected. To support
StreamsConfig#builder, we have to implement builders for ProducerConfig and
ConsumerConfig first. We can start this job only after implementing and
validating all the methods of ProducerConfig and ConsumerConfig.
2. Some other config validation issues are related to this issue. I already
found following two, but it seems like there are more related ones:
    - KAFKA-2898: Kafka producer config incorrectly warns that serializer.*
isn't a known config[^2]
    - KAFKA-4531: Rationalise client configuration validation[^3]

So, I suggest:

1. Change KAFKA-4436 into umbrella issue and add ProducerConfig,
ConsumerConfig and StreamsConfig as separate sub-issues.
2. Assign above issues to me. I will take all the issues - and if you find
any validation issues like KAFKA-2898 or KAFKA-4531, don't hesitate to
leave a comment or send me a message. I will also handle them with the
config builders.
3. If needed, I will submit the KIP for this issue.

Thanks for reading. I am looking forward to your comments.

Best,
Dongjin

[^1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-4436
[^2]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-2898
[^3]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-4531

--
*Dongjin Lee*

*Software developer in Line+.So interested in massive-scale machine
learning.facebook: www.facebook.com/dongjin.lee.kr
<http://www.facebook.com/dongjin.lee.kr>linkedin:
kr.linkedin.com/in/dongjinleekr
<http://kr.linkedin.com/in/dongjinleekr>github:
<http://goog_969573159/>github.com/dongjinleekr
<http://github.com/dongjinleekr>twitter: www.twitter.com/dongjinleekr
<http://www.twitter.com/dongjinleekr>*

Re: [Suggestion] Issues on StreamConfig Builder

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good, thanks!

Posted by Dongjin Lee <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.