Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/12 05:16:51 UTC

[classlib]Self-host of Derby

Hi, all:
     I now plan to make the self-host of Derby on Harmony.
     Is there anyone interested in this topic?

     Here is what I encountered in the process. Hope it will be helpful to
anybody who is interested in it.

     At first, the testcases even fails on RI both on windows and ubuntu and
the result are different.???
     After some struggiling, I have successfully passed the provided
testcases on RI after I rebuild the source on my machine.
     But there still remains a problem:
     The derby team kindly rewrite the launcher for testcases in order to
treat J9 vm differently if the property java.vm.name starts with "j9". But
the j9 vm used in Harmony has been customized thus is different from
traditional j9 vm that is expected by derby. This leads to failure to launch
tests.
     I will talk on Derby's mailing list to find a solution.

--
Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib]Self-host of Derby

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Leo,

Yes the patch may be out of date - I think it was about 6 months ago when I
was looking at Derby.  I used the latest stable release at the time but I
imagine it will have moved on a lot since then.  Which version are you using
now?

I'm afraid I haven't seen those problems with the security manager, but I
imagine if the tests haven't been designed to run with it on then there
could be problems on any VM.  Do you think there's another workaround you
could do without switching the security manager on?

Just a minor side point - I'm not 100% sure about this but I don't think
these kinds of activities should be referred to as self-hosting.  I think
self-hosting would be doing something like using Harmony to build
itself.  Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Regards,

Sian

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Sian:

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Leo,

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Derby has VM-specific features?

geir

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Sian:

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Leo,

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Leo,

fyi, there's a page on the Wiki about Derby tests [1] - not
sure how they were adapted to run on Harmony, but
there are some results provided. It would be good to
have this updated with more recent information.

Looks like from that class list we may be able to execure
more of the tests now. Good luck getting them running!

Regards,
Oliver

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Apache_Derby

Leo Li wrote:
> Hi, all:
>     I now plan to make the self-host of Derby on Harmony.
>     Is there anyone interested in this topic?
>
>     Here is what I encountered in the process. Hope it will be helpful to
> anybody who is interested in it.
>
>     At first, the testcases even fails on RI both on windows and
> ubuntu and
> the result are different.???
>     After some struggiling, I have successfully passed the provided
> testcases on RI after I rebuild the source on my machine.
>     But there still remains a problem:
>     The derby team kindly rewrite the launcher for testcases in order to
> treat J9 vm differently if the property java.vm.name starts with "j9".
> But
> the j9 vm used in Harmony has been customized thus is different from
> traditional j9 vm that is expected by derby. This leads to failure to
> launch
> tests.
>     I will talk on Derby's mailing list to find a solution.

--
Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [classlib]Self-host of Derby

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/06, Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/06, Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, all:
> >      I now plan to make the self-host of Derby on Harmony.
> >      Is there anyone interested in this topic?
> >
> >      Here is what I encountered in the process. Hope it will be helpful
> > anybody who is interested in it.
> >
> >      At first, the testcases even fails on RI both on windows and ubuntu
> and
> > the result are different.???
>
> What version of the RI?

   1.5

>      After some struggiling, I have successfully passed the provided
> > testcases on RI after I rebuild the source on my machine.
> >      But there still remains a problem:
> >      The derby team kindly rewrite the launcher for testcases in order
> > treat J9 vm differently if the property java.vm.name starts with "j9".
> But
> > the j9 vm used in Harmony has been customized thus is different from
> > traditional j9 vm that is expected by derby. This leads to failure to
> launch
> > tests.
>
> Curious, why do Derby's test cases need to run differently for different
> VMs?

   I am also curious. Just asking them.:)

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 10/11/06, Leo Li <li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all:
>      I now plan to make the self-host of Derby on Harmony.
>      Is there anyone interested in this topic?
>
>      Here is what I encountered in the process. Hope it will be helpful to
> anybody who is interested in it.
>
>      At first, the testcases even fails on RI both on windows and ubuntu and
> the result are different.???

What version of the RI?

Posted by Alex Luo <al...@gmail.com>.
Spark Shen wrote:
> Alex Luo 写道:
>> Hello:
>> I have build derby successfully on RI. But when I tried to run the
>> following derby's test on Harmony, it failed.
>> *java -Dframework=DerbyNetClient
>> org.apache.derbyTesting.functionTests.harness.RunTest
>> lang/supersimple.sql *
>> Btw, this test passed on RI.
> Would you try eliminate -Dframework=DerbyNetClient?
>
> Best regards
Yes, I did. But the result is the same as before.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
1. Pls see if the command-line has security management on. Current Harmony
seems not compatible with such option.

2. Pls try this stand-alone java program if it runs to set aside the
environment of Derby test:

public class testConnection {
 private static final String dbURL ="jdbc:derby:MyDbTest";
 private static Connection conn = null;

  Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();
  conn = DriverManager.getConnection(dbURL+";create=true");
  System.out.println("DB created");
   conn.close();
   }

}

*add the classes you built to the classpath

Posted by Spark Shen <sm...@gmail.com>.
Alex Luo 写道:

Posted by Alex Luo <al...@gmail.com>.
Hello:
[...]

   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:872)

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Egor:
     If you want just to reproduce the problem, I think it is possible to
start from binary.
     But there are some issues:
     1. Pls pack the wrapper class I gave in the HARMONY-1368 to the binary
you will run from. The RunTest requires it.
     2. The testcase with the downloaded binary might fail, I am not sure,
due to the sorting of locale. But not the Error.:)

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Leo Li <li...@gmail.com>.
Ok.:)