Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/08/14 21:57:09 UTC

HDP Cluster scaling

Hi,

  I'm working on the Savanna HDP plugin, currently working on the capability to scale a cluster (add hosts, remove hosts).  The current approach to adding a host is to:

  1)  Install the ambari agent on the host
  2)  start the ambari agent
  3) register the host
  4)  add the required host components (based on the node group to which it is being added)
  5)  install components (transition state from INIT to INSTALLED)
  6)  start the components (transition state from INSTALLED to STARTED)

  I have a couple of questions regarding this approach:

  1)  Is it the ideal approach?  Is there a more direct way of interacting with ambari to provision a new host?

  2)  I am having an issue with the final step.  During the invocation I get the following error:

<head>
<title>Error 500 Invalid desired state for a client component</title>
</head>
<h2>HTTP ERROR: 500</h2>

  The mix of components that are in the installed state is:

{
  "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal/host_components?HostRoles/state=INSTALLED",
  "items" : [
    {
      "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal/host_components/DATANODE",
      "HostRoles" : {
        "cluster_name" : "my-cluster",
        "component_name" : "DATANODE",
        "state" : "INSTALLED",
        "host_name" : "my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      },
      "host" : {
        "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      }
    },
    {
      "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal/host_components/MAPREDUCE_CLIENT",
      "HostRoles" : {
        "cluster_name" : "my-cluster",
        "component_name" : "MAPREDUCE_CLIENT",
        "state" : "INSTALLED",
        "host_name" : "my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      },
      "host" : {
        "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      }
    },
    {
      "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal/host_components/HDFS_CLIENT",
      "HostRoles" : {
        "cluster_name" : "my-cluster",
        "component_name" : "HDFS_CLIENT",
        "state" : "INSTALLED",
        "host_name" : "my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      },
      "host" : {
        "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      }
    },
    {
      "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal/host_components/GANGLIA_MONITOR",
      "HostRoles" : {
        "cluster_name" : "my-cluster",
        "component_name" : "GANGLIA_MONITOR",
        "state" : "INSTALLED",
        "host_name" : "my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      },
      "host" : {
        "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      }
    },
    {
      "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal/host_components/TASKTRACKER",
      "HostRoles" : {
        "cluster_name" : "my-cluster",
        "component_name" : "TASKTRACKER",
        "state" : "INSTALLED",
        "host_name" : "my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      },
      "host" : {
        "href" : "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
      }
    }
  ]
}

  So it appears that "CLIENT" components are not transitioned into the STARTED state?  Do I need to iterate thru these and avoid starting components with CLIENT in their name?

-- Jon
--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: HDP Cluster scaling

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
Host delete is not supported yet. The feature is available in trunk for a
subsequent release.

So there is no way to disassociate a host from a cluster using the APIs.

Re: HDP Cluster scaling

Posted by Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com>.
On Aug 14, 2013, at 6:56 PM, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, host delete feature is not yet available. Likely,
> availability is after 1.2.5.
>
> The expectation is that host can be deleted after the mapped components
> are deleted.

I experimented by leveraging the REST API to transition the host components on a given host to INSTALLED and subsequently MAINTENANCE state. I was then able to actually delete those host components (except for client components - they could not be transitioned to MAINTENANCE or deleted).  However, I can't seem to DELETE the associated host resource.  Is there a way to remove a host currently?  Failing that, is there a way to dissociate the host from the cluster?

> -Sumit
>
> On 8/14/13 3:50 PM, "Jon Maron" <jm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Follow up question:
>>
>> To scale down, do I simply have to leverage the REST API to DELETE the
>> given host?
>>
>> -- Jon
>>
>> On Aug 14, 2013, at 5:30 PM, Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> 1)  Is it the ideal approach?  Is there a more direct way of interacting
>>> with ambari to provision a new host?
>>>
>>> The steps you have is the ideal approach. Alternatively, there is
>>> bootstrap API but it will also require Ambari to have SSH access. Even
>>> then the number of steps will not be smaller.
>>>
>>> 2)  I am having an issue with the final step.  During the invocation I
>>> get the following error:
>>>

>>> You are right. The client components do not transition to STARTED. So
>>> you
>>> need to only issue INSTALLED-->STARTED for the non client components.
>>>
>>> -Sumit

>>> --
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or
>>> entity to
>>> privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the
>>> reader
>>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>>> that
>>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>>> immediately
>>

>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender
>> immediately

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: HDP Cluster scaling

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.

Re: HDP Cluster scaling

Posted by Jon Maron <jm...@hortonworks.com>.
Thanks!

> [...]

>>       "host_name" : "my-cluster-slave-003.novalocal"
>>     },
>>     "host" : {
>>       "href" :
>> "http://172.18.3.5:8080/api/v1/clusters/my-cluster/hosts/my-cluster-slave-
>> 003.novalocal"
>>     }
>>   }
>> ]
>> }
>>
>> So it appears that "CLIENT" components are not transitioned into the
>> STARTED state?  Do I need to iterate thru these and avoid starting
>> components with CLIENT in their name?
>>
>> -- Jon
>> --
>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>> of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
>> that
>> received this communication in error, please contact the sender

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: HDP Cluster scaling

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.