Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Michal Maczka <Mm...@cqs.ch> on 2003/06/17 10:20:35 UTC

RE: cvs commit: maven/src/plugins-build/artifact/src/plugin-resou rces/templates manifest.vm

This one is developed in pure Java + supports deployment to various types
of repositories. Soon it will support deployment to multiple repositories.

And I think it is easier to use it then other ones + the code is more
centralized. I hope to test it with junit. This was rather hard in case of
"old" plugins.

> Can you please change the others to use this code if it works?

It is not yet fully finished. Once I will be sure that it works I am
planning to change other plugins.
For the moment I use war plugin as demonstration how this is supposed
to work from the point of other plugins, so if any body has some remarks...
let me know.

FYI:

package org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer.deploy;

is meant to be refactored. I think the best will be to make a "sister"
component of "fetch" in maven-new.

This code is not depending on any maven apis, and can be possibly reused
like does "fetch" component.

Package org.apache.maven.artifact.deployer;

Contains higher level API, which uses maven API and it is supposed to be
used in plugins.

[OT]

I am thinking about deploying java sources and javadocs to repository.

Any idea about naming convention of those artifacts? With maven-new it
will be easy to control, with maven-old it is not so easy.

I am thinking about:

/${groupId}/apis/${artitifactId}_api-${version}.jar  (for javadocs)
/${groupId}/srcs/${artitifactId}_src-${version}.jar  (for sources).

Any better ideas?

Other question is where is the best place for such functionality?
I think for javadoc it is javadoc plugin. But for sources?

Any hints what else can we deploy?

Other idea:

We have;

jar:jar
war:war
ear:ear

etc..

Wouldn't it be more consistent to have:

jar:archive
war:archive
ear:archive
javadoc:archive
java:src-archive

etc?

regards

Michal

RE: deploying java sources and javadocs to repository

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de>.
On Tue, 2003-06-17 at 10:20, Michal Maczka wrote:
> I am thinking about deploying java sources and javadocs to repository.
>
> Any idea about naming convention of those artifacts? With maven-new it
> will be easy to control, with maven-old it is not so easy.
>
> I am thinking about:
>
> /${groupId}/apis/${artitifactId}_api-${version}.jar  (for javadocs)
> /${groupId}/srcs/${artitifactId}_src-${version}.jar  (for sources).
>
> Any better ideas?
>
> Other question is where is the best place for such functionality?
> I think for javadoc it is javadoc plugin. But for sources?

Isn't the "dist" plugin doing the job already?

[dist] : Build a complete distribution.
  build ...................... Build a complete distribution.
  build-bin .................. Build the binary distribution.
  build-setup ................ Set up directories for a distribution
build
  build-src .................. Build the source distribution.
  deploy ..................... Deploy a distribution
  deploy-bin ................. Deploy a binary distribution
  deploy-snapshot ............ Deploy a snapshot distribution
  deploy-src ................. Deploy a source distribution
  prepare-bin-filesystem ..... Builds the binary distribution file
system.
  prepare-src-filesystem ..... Builds the source distribution file
system.

> javadoc:archive
> java:src-archive

... dist plugin IMHO builds "zip" archives, which are more suitable than
jar e.g. for javadoc.

just my 2 cent
--
Martin Skopp
Riege Software International GmbH

This email is intended to be viewed with a nonproportional font.
Public Key on http://www.keyserver.net, Key-ID: 3D4027B5
Fingerprint: 1970 C78D 9A1D 99FA 5CE4  5C0D 29E6 6A95 3D40 27B5