Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Marcel Reutegger <mr...@adobe.com> on 2015/11/23 12:10:33 UTC

Re: Drop/keep support for Java6

Hi,

On 2015-10-05 12:08, Michael Dürig wrote:
I was wondering whether we should/could/want to drop support for Java 6
in Oak. If we keep supporting it, what would be a realistic time line?

I assume this is about "trunk", not 1.2 or 1.0, right?

As much as I'd love to drop it, given the amount of backporting we
currently do this doesn't seem like a good idea.

I think we should drop support for running Oak 1.3.x on Java 6.
At least the Oracle JDK 6 version is not supported anymore
and does not receive any security updates.

We could still restrict Oak to the Java 6 language level and runtime
library features to make sure we can backport fixes. E.g. Apache
Sling is using the animal sniffer tool to check compatibility with
earlier Java versions.

The builds on Jenkins also fail frequently with Java 6:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jackrabbit-oak-dev/201510.mbox/%3C561B62A9.3020701@apache.org%3E

Regards
 Marcel

Re: Drop/keep support for Java6

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.
As our Jenkins [1] kept failing with a memory corruption on Java 6 [2]
and I anticipate us to drop Java 6 support in one way or another soon
anyway, I disabled the respective dimension.

Michael

[1] https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/
[2]
https://builds.apache.org/job/Apache%20Jackrabbit%20Oak%20matrix/630/jdk=jdk-1.6u45,label=Ubuntu,nsfixtures=SEGMENT_MK,profile=integrationTesting/console

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tommaso

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

> I think we should drop support for running Oak 1.3.x on Java 6.
> At least the Oracle JDK 6 version is not supported anymore
> and does not receive any security updates.
>
> We could still restrict Oak to the Java 6 language level and runtime
> library features to make sure we can backport fixes. E.g. Apache
> Sling is using the animal sniffer tool to check compatibility with
> earlier Java versions.

+1

Michael